Replacing Raymarine C80 with Raymarine a95

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Has anyone replaced the Raymarine C80 with a Raymarine a95 multifunction display? Can I just use the seatalk converter to interface my other Raymarine instruments to the new display without replacing a bunch of cables?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Yes your seatalk 1 instruments will work with the seatalk to SeatalkNG adapter. For autopilot connectivity ask in the raymarine.com user forums. Chuck is always very helpful (not always the answer you want). It is great that RM staffs a position like his.

Alternatively you can use an ITC5 to convert most analogue sensors to native SeatalkNG.

Les

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Thanks Les, I tried researching the RM website and downloaded manuals but it wasn't real clear about the interfacing with existing instruments. I'll contact Raymarine about the autopilot.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
A few years ago I was thinking of upgrading from my C-80 and I called Raymarine and they said everything would work OK except the Radar.
it was a few years ago and don't remember what model I was looking at but just call Raymarine and they were very helpful for sure.
Nick

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Have you looked at the new Raymarine Axiom 9" with Navionics instead of the A95. As long as you do not want the new sonar transducers it is a comparable price.
I am looking to upgrade from an outdated Garmin to the Axiom and Chirp Radar that will integrate to the EV-100 autopilot and older ST60 instruments.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Well I updated the old Garmin chart plotter to the Raymarine Axiom 9 with Navionics Charts and the system works great. Thought I would need to wait for Raymarine to come out with the firmware update files for the EV-100 autopilot as it comes through the Axiom, but updating the Axiom to the latest firmware allowed all to communicate and control the EV-100 from the Axiom. It was really nice to be able to plan way points and control the autopilot from the Axiom.
I have older ST60 wind, depth and speed on Seatalk, EV-100 chartplotter on Seatalkng (with RM cable), and the Axiom on NMEA 2000 (with RM SeatalkNG to NMEA 2000 cable).
Next will tie in Standard Horizon GX220 with AIS to Axiom to get that on the screen. Also hope to add Chirp Radar that will be Raymarine WiFi connected.
Very happy with install and operation.
Jeff

Gdindy

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 410 Washington Park Marina, Michigan City, Indiana
I had a Raymarine installer suggest at the boat show for me to get the 4K HD Radar vs the Quantum, he said something about it "punching through the fog and bad weather" better than the wireless? Also, I understand it is still suggested to run a wire to the radar dome even though it is wireless in the event of a fail with the wifi. Can anyone confirm or dispute this ? Im in process of having Axiom 9 Pro installed and after researching the down chirp sonar decided it really did not give me any forward looking info that might help me from running aground and I do not do any fishing.
I also am upgrading my 2001 electronics with the newAxiom MFD along with the new 4K HD digital radar. I will be using the sea talk to communicate with older ST60 instruments that will still be connected and run as redundant along with MFD info screen. Cheers!

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Raymarine's HD Digital is a state of the art radar and generally better than the Quantum for offshore. For coastal and marina hopping the Quantum is probably easier as it has instant on and better near target definition. Make sure you get the HD version though, the simple Digital radars are not much better than the analog you have in the C80.

I would also recommend the Axiom as I believe Raymarine will be retiring everything else.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Can I just use the seatalk converter
Yes, if you have digital Radar. BTW the same series a98 [mine] does the new CHIRP sonar without the Sonar converter, since it is "built it".
Jim...

PS: Call Raymarine direct. They have friendly techs to help.