Replacing R-12 Cold Machine with a R-134A cold machine

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Hunter 43 Legend 0000 Marina del Rey
I have a 1991 43 Hunter Legend that came with the original refrigeration installed. Both the refrigerator, and freezer have R-12 leaks at the compressor. I want to replace the old machines with more modern ones. Can I replace just the compressor units without changing the plates/thermostats inside the boxes?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have a 1991 43 Hunter Legend that came with the original refrigeration installed. Both the refrigerator, and freezer have R-12 leaks at the compressor. I want to replace the old machines with more modern ones. Can I replace just the compressor units without changing the plates/thermostats inside the boxes?
In theory, yes. In practice, no. I went through the same consideration when I replaced mine. every trace of old refrigerant must be flushed, and even then it may be corroded inside. And, the connections may not match. I took smarter, more experienced, people's advice and replaced the whole unit. FWIW, I had a SeaFrost system installed using their thin holding plate, similar to the old AB it replaced. If the old unit is working, I would leave it alone. The old AB running the freezer has been on about 19 years or more. The refrig was killed by a dumb tech trying to substitute 134A for R12.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Rob, our 1991 AB refrigerator compressor died a few years ago and decided, after much discussion with those who know, to replace with all new components; thermostat, evaporator, condenser and compressor from AB. Ordered the unit as a package from Defender and did the job myself. That was three years ago. Rather than replace the evaporator plate with a new one (very expensive plus would have had to bend it 90 degrees like the original) I replaced it with their larger box. No special tools needed, basically plug and play, but it took some time to get the old stuff out and new in; maybe six hours altogether.

As Rick pointed out the old evaporator plate might work with the new components, but the technicians that I talked to say it is a gamble. They advised to go with a new evaporator. Of course the new plate without the 90 degree bend was twice the price of the larger evaporator box. It has worked out great so far.

https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=8342&mn=42

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Hunter 43 Legend 0000 Marina del Rey
Thanks for the replies...I think I will heed the wise advice, and start looking for a complete replacement.