Replacing opening ports/windows

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
That looks like the original beckson port. It is a builder grade port that has reputation for leaking once the gasket deforms and the gasket is a bear to replace. I have replaced five of those gaskets, they took forever and the fifth one always leaks. Yes I tried hot water, soapy water, stretching and all the other tricks. You are right to consider replacement but for all the effort why not replace them with a better quality port? They are mounted in an area that has a plywood core which might have some small water intrusion so have some west system ten six ready. It is nice and thin so that it runs into any voids.
Good luck.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Wow. Thanks. Maybe I go for Lewmar. But they do not seem to offer the exact same size. the stuff you talked about, is that epoxy or sealant or what? What higher quality windows do you recommend?

Sep 23, 2009
Sorry as I have not yet got to that task. So I can not make a recommendation but I look forward to eventually replacing mine with some higher quality stainless ones. I replaced the fixed ports with screwless ones and that dressed the boat up a little, next is getting rid of those cheap plastic jobs and replacing with stainless. The gasket system is one thing I will focus on after size.
tensix by West system comes in an easy to use cartridge. Get their free how to brochures. As a boat owner, you will become very familiar with West. They have first class tech support.
Lots of people here would love to see pictures of your project.
btw, the 28 is one great boat.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
That looks like the original beckson port. It is a builder grade port that has reputation for leaking once the gasket deforms and the gasket is a bear to replace. I have replaced five of those gaskets, they took forever and the fifth one always leaks. Yes I tried hot water, soapy water, stretching and all the other tricks. You are right to consider replacement but for all the effort why not replace them with a better quality port? They are mounted in an area that has a plywood core which might have some small water intrusion so have some west system ten six ready. It is nice and thin so that it runs into any voids.
Good luck.
Here are the instructions to replace the gasket. http://www.beckson.com/installgasket.html
I agree with njlarry on two points. #1 replacing the gaskets is a pain, but I got better at it with every port I did. #2 pictures would be great. Better yet, you may want to start a thread for the entire project. Do all of your posting with pictures only on that thread. You will then have a complete document on the entire project with discussions on hows and whys of everything you did. I did it a few years back and I enjoy going back and reading it occasionally. Joe, 25yearslater, had a great thread for his project.
Now as for replacing the ports, Think twice before replacing the ports with the same Beckson port. What will you gain? Shiny new plastic frame? That may be of value to you but you will get nearly the same result by the much simpler replacement of the lens. I do agree that you may want to remove and reinstall the ports just to clean up the old silicone and check for leaks getting into the core.This looks like a good instructional video. I followed the same procedure.
Njlarry mentioned "Ten six", this is used to seal the core so no water can leak into it. Builders often skip this step and wet cores are the result. The epoxy must be completely cured and trimmed up before you reinstall the ports. Silicone is used to seal the ports so you can remove the port at a later day.
Here is the info needed to identify parts for the Beckson ports. Yes, I too buy from D&R whenever possible but this info is important to have on hand. https://www.beckson.com/component.html. The proceeding was just my two cents. and often worth that much.

Sep 23, 2009
I thought six ten was a mosquito repellant, must be the ADD.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
No, and I may be showing my age...... Six-Twelve, (or was it 6-12?) was the mosquito repellant. <GRIN!> There must have bee something "unsafe" about 6-12, because they don't seem to make it anymore? I haven't seen that stuff in like 40 years?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I installed my new ports with Dow 795. That is what came out when I removed the old ones.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The Dow 795 is recommended by D & R Marine because of the expansion and contraction capabilities. Pat

Aug 3, 2012
The Dow 795 is recommended by D & R Marine because of the expansion and contraction capabilities. Pat
Yes. I got my new plexi from DR. They came with very good instructions

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do yourself a favor and get a metal framed port. Lewmar, NFM, Gebo. Leave the plastic trash behind.

Aug 3, 2012
I used the Beckson's with 795, and they work great.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Great video, very helpful. Thanks
I see the stainless steel option but the Admiral thinks it makes the boat look like a Naval warship. If I do replace the windows what is recommended and why? I hear lewmars are better but they are not available in the same size from what I can find. The windows leak a little if too loose or too tight. Maybe that is only a gasket issue? Do you know where to see a video on replacing the gasket? The shop guy at my marina says I should replace the ports as they are 1984 vintage and may disintegrate - of course he may just be looking to sell me more stuff.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
This is one of very few projects that will not cost you an arm and leg. I suggest you simply reseal them and replace the gasket if they leak when they are closed. Then start spending big bucks on other stuff.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
that sounds good, meaning remove and replace but also redo gasket and screens... buy a kit for that, right?

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Good luck.
This discussion came up last year when I was rebedding my ports, and on MY O'day 34, there was NO plywood in the cabin sides where the opening ports are. I recently discovered I need to replace the fixed plexiglass ports as one of them cracked top to bottom during storage this year. When I removed the first one this weekend, I did find plywood between the cabin side and the interior liner. It only seems to be secured with screws at the corners, and the liner is rather wavy - I am tempted to put some epoxy in there and clamp the cabin side and liner to the plywood.

My Beckson ports have worked fine - I replaced the lenses a few years ago, and pulled them and resealed them last year. I too have replaced the gaskets, and while it is admittedly a pain, it is doable, and the only time I have any leaking seems to be when there is a little dirt between the gasket and lens. I would have preferred to replace them with NewFoundMetals, but there was no size similar to what I had.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I did mine last summer. I just pulled them and cleaned them all up with Acetone (they look brand new now) and rebedded them and changed the windows themselves and the screens from Rudy. Several downpours and not a drop inside so I doubt they are leaking inside between the fiberglass. I used a ton of butyl and just trimmed the access after tightening the screws.