Replacing Maxwell 14's on 86 Hunter 23

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All -
I'm shopping around for winches to replace the original maxwells for the jib sheets on my h23. The boat is in storage / not accessible and I want to make sure I buy the same base diameter or larger on the "new" ones (eBay or super sale).

Does anyone know the base diameter on the original maxwell 17 winches?
I have been looking at putting lewmar 6 OR lewmar 7's on.

Lewmar 6's are 94 mm (3 11/16 in)
and
Lewmar 7's are 108 mm (4 1/4 in)

Thanks

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The diameter is not as important as the winch power. I know with Lewmars the number gives you the mechanical advantage with a specific size winch handle (10"). That is not the case with the Maxwells as far as I can tell. Even if you get the same diameter, the bolt pattern will not match. I replaced my Maxwells with Lewmars and every day is a beautiful day since. I did, however, have to fill in the old holes and drill new holes for the bolts. Ebay is a beautiful thing.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If the blot pattern is larger may be an issue but the response from markebird I support that the aluminum plate probably is large enough to accommodate that. I am talking about the plate encapsulated in the fiberglass. Is the current winch on too of a raised portion of the deck that is smooth? I cannot remember and that alone will tell

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
thanks Mark and dave
appreciate all the info. Im thinking Ill definately need to fill the holes from the maxwell then redrill holes for the lewmars (Im thinking brass 7's). I want to go with a larger base diameter so that I can make sure the filled holes/repair from the maxwells dont show - basically that the new lewmars base is wider the the old maxwells. But I dont want to go too big on the lewmars base diameters that they dont fit the area.

Also the lewmar 6's are much less expensive then the 7's...
Any tips ? And what lewmars did you replaces yours with?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Dave
I believe the backing plate is wood that is inside the hull - ill need to double check that in the spring. The current maxwells are mounted flush to the hull.
best

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks Dave - just shot you an message. It would be great if I can buy them thru the store and support this platform but also Mauro is having a sale now on 6's and 7's - like 40% off. I'm looking for bronze goldy ones.

But guys - will I need to buy a mounting plate - bolts - backup plate etc?
Basically what else do I need to get so when I go out to the boat I have everything I nee to do it in a day?

best

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thanks for the photo. One of two things will occur. First go inside and see if there any backing cover plates underneath that area accessible to the back of the bolts holding the winch in place? There should be four screws. You would be correct about wood as a backing plate under the fiberglass.

If no accessibility from inside then you can figure aluminum plates encapsulated in the fiberglass which you could drill and tap. If not sure, drill a small hole and if you get medal shavings, that will answe that.

It has been a long time being on the 23 wing keel. @Kermit do you know? If any others owning a 23 wing keel can you advise which the attachment is

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It has been a long time being on the 23 wing keel. @Kermit do you know? If any others owning a 23 wing keel can you advise which the attachment is
Are you kidding me? I don’t even know the size or brand winch I have on my current boat. I only ride ‘em. I don’t know what makes ‘me work.