Replacing hot water heater in 1992 Catalina 28

Jul 25, 2018
Catalina 28 Northport Long Island
I own a 1992 Catalina 28 sailboat in which the hot water heater was leaking. It is located in the port side cockpit locker. I basically disassembled it in order to get it out! Now, I’m wondering how to get the new one in ! I’ve climbed and went over every area of the head, port side of the Engine compartment and aft section of the boat and it seems as though it’s all encased in fiberglass! I was informed by a local distributor of Catalina sailboats that I had to take out the wall of the head in order to get the heater back in. But, as I stated above I tried this and it seems that the only way to put it back in is to cut out a portion of the fiberglass?! Please, is there anyone out there with this experience?!

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
I have a 93 Cat 28 mark I and in mine you can get to it pretty easily by removing the panel in the rear berth. I also am pretty sure that there was a write up on the Yahoo Catalina 28 website.

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply! I did remove the back panel after being told by many that the water stains on the bottom of the panel was caused by a pedestal leak. On further review it was failure in the hot water heater. I have a brand new panel yet, again no access as stated earlier.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hot water heater .. I did not realize hot water needed to be heated ...
(george carlin)

Jul 25, 2018
This not a comedy forum or grammar for that matter. If you have no experience or advice with the initial question....please don’t waste mine, yours or the others out there time. Thanks

Jul 25, 2018
Thank you Peterbud for reply! My hot water heater came right through the head/locker door after removing the frame!

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Too bad ... I always thought sailing should be fun. I will refrain from your posts, as requested ...
cec

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
thanks for the follow up its good to know if I need to replace mine
Peter budzynkiewicz