Replacing foam blocks: Good idea or not

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Both - sitting on a partially submerged hull while wearing my pfd.
That's why I bought a sailboat with flotation and always wear a pfd.
Part of my "be your own rescue" strategy.

Hood

May 25, 2019
Macgregor Venture 21 Southern IN-KY-IL
Just registered for this forum to ask the very same questions. Bought a Mac V21 on Thursday and all the foam had been removed, wondered if I could spray in closed cell insulation. Extra flotation is key for me, regardless of the loss of storage space. I'm also brand new to sailing, this is my first SV, so the peace of mind to really push new skills and make mistakes won't seem catastrophic. Did anyone actually answer the questions about spray in foam being ok to replace the Styrofoam?

Last edited:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
As long as it's closed cell - it should work. Whether it is approved for flotation use may or may not be a concern. There are sprayable open cell varieties that will allow water to almost fully saturate the product. Not good for flotation.

There are closed cell versions that can be sprayed (have some in my attic), but it might be easier to use an approved pourable version, such as:
https://www.systemthree.com/product...MIq7SEk4a34gIVDI3ICh2h3QZ1EAQYByABEgIfX_D_BwE

Since you already seemed to know about the closed cell issue, I'm sure you probably realize that once foamed, the area is much more difficult to pull wire and plumbing through. Make sure you get all of your other projects done first, or make provisions for them before foaming.

And Welcome Aboard!

Last edited:

Hood

May 25, 2019
Thanks, it's a pleasure to be here! This floatation foam is very helpful. No plumbing on the boat, but I will make sure wiring is placed in workable spaces with no foam. Great advice.

Hood

May 25, 2019
Hey JP, there's this option, you just have to really really really like soda! i.e. this is what I found in my boat that I bought last week to replace the floatation that had been removed.
2 ltr floatation.JPG