Replacing foam blocks: Good idea or not

JP-M25

Dec 1, 2018
Macgregor M25 Safety Harbor Florida
All,
I have a relatively new to me M25. I've seen mention that you are NOT to remove any of the foam blocks.

Technology has come a long way since 1983. Has anyone replaced their foam blocks with closed cell, 2 part pour-in place floatation foam?

Any pro's and/or con's with doing this? I'm thinking there was some pretty good engineering analysis done when the foam blocks were put in place back in 1983. Would replacing with newer technology foam make the M25 "float" differently? Maybe have an adverse effect on it's optimal sailing?

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
My personal opinion - they are a marketing ploy is all.
I have dispensed with all of the foam blocks that came in my Venture.
I would rather have the storage space.
Most boats are not built with foam flotation and there is NOTHING
that requires you to keep them.

Your boat, your choice as Stu would say...

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
I'm missing all the blocks under my V berth.

Has anybody that has removed them noticed any difference?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Remove them. They made a mess as they disintegrate, smell as they absorb water and take up most of the usable storage space. As Topcat stated, it was a marketing ploy to calm the nerves of new sailors. You are better off not sailing recklessly and keep the water out of your boat in the first place. Enjoy all the extra storage room !

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've been told that vessels under certain sizes are required by law to have flotation foam to prevent sinking

JP-M25

Dec 1, 2018
Macgregor M25 Safety Harbor Florida
I've been told that vessels under certain sizes are required by law to have flotation foam to prevent sinking
Does your O'Day 25 have flotation foam? I thought these blocks were unique to the Mcgregor's.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
No, but my Starwind 19 has gobs of expanding foam in the bow and stern. It was definitely put there at the factory

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
That's pretty interesting. Perhaps they expect inexperienced people on on small motor boats to run into more issues than slow moving sailboats

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
I removed all of foam blocks on my mac 25. I think it is very important to be able to get to everything and fast if need be. Those blocks were wedged in there so tight that if there was a issue, you would be scrambling to get at the problem. If you look closely at all of the hardware in the aft section of the boat, there is a lot of stuff that can leak. You will want to go through all of that eventually and re - bed it. I would put in a bilge pump and get rid of the foam.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I understand both lobbies. However, the previous owner of my 25 gouged an arc in the keel trunk from the lock down pin after hitting an object. The boat sank in 5 minutes. The foam kept it afloat for the tow in. This was in the ocean off Westport. I guess the coast guard was aiding the recovery. I never knew this till about four years after ownership!! For me it is a small bit of insurance to pay for losing storage space. I just had it all out again to clean. It is a PIA but for me peace of mind because I know it works.
KB

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
I like your reply Tsatzsue, you make a very good example of why someone might want to keep the foam in the boat. This is why I am on this forum, because I get all kinds of different angles at looking at things. Thanks for the post.

May 16, 2011
I actually just fixed the lock down pin situation on Tuesday. I drilled out the poorly fiber glassed holes. Took a stainless pin just a bit larger than 3/8" and wrapped it in masking tape that was inside out. I set the pin in place and slid fiberglass patches that I cut holes in onto it. I used West System Heavy duty epoxy and laminated them together. Both on the cabin side and under the seat side. A quick layer of Saran Wrap so I could push the material tight around the pin. Once cured, the pin slid right out with one finger. I am going to grind the high spots off and use 3/8" drain plugs that I purchased from Sea Dog to seal. I haven't used a pin in 8 years and other have not really had the need to either. It is for insurance only. There have been a couple of times in Buzzards Bay that I would have put it in. 4-6 footers, and larger at times on the beam with foaming tops that you can hear as they break. A knock down doesn't scare me as I have been there but if it gets past 90 degrees the pin may help keeping the keel where it needs to be for righting the boat. It will not only keep it from crashing into the hull but eliminate a giant shock load or severely pinching the keel cable and hardware when you least need it. It is nice having options.

May 16, 2011
I actually just fixed the lock down pin situation on Tuesday. I drilled out the poorly fiber glassed holes. Took a stainless pin just a bit larger than 3/8" and wrapped it in masking tape that was inside out. I set the pin in place and slid fiberglass patches that I cut holes in onto it. I used West System Heavy duty epoxy and laminated them together. Both on the cabin side and under the seat side. A quick layer of Saran Wrap so I could push the material tight around the pin. Once cured, the pin slid right out with one finger. I am going to grind the high spots off and use 3/8" drain plugs that I purchased from Sea Dog to seal. I haven't used a pin in 8 years and other have not really had the need to either. It is for insurance only. There have been a couple of times in Buzzards Bay that I would have put it in. 4-6 footers, and larger at times on the beam with foaming tops that you can hear as they break. A knock down doesn't scare me as I have been there but if it gets past 90 degrees the pin may help keeping the keel where it needs to be for righting the boat. It will not only keep it from crashing into the hull but eliminate a giant shock load or severely pinching the keel cable and hardware when you least need it. It is nice having options.
20190507_175539.jpg

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
One good thing about the foam is that it keeps you from over loading the boat and trailer with unnecessary stuff.
I guess it depends on what you want to do with your boat and how many people you take with you.
Four people for a weekend, one ice chest for drinks and one for sandwich makings, paper plates ,etc. No cooking, no dish washing, fun for all.
or
You can load it down with all the things you have at home and at the end of the season you can empty it out and wonder where all that stuff came from.
The limiting factor is the port-a-pottie:biggrin:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is what the owners manual says:
With the normal gear and crew, MacGregor boats have sufficient foam flotation to keep the boats afloat in the event the cabin fills. When completely filled with water, the boat will be relatively unstable. Do not remove the foam flotation blocks in the interior of your boat under any circumstances.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Saw a post somewhere, where drain hole was clogged and boat sank at slip. Only thing keeping it afloat was foam. Easy to raise at slip. Not so easy in deep water. I'm just sayin'....