Replacing engine starter switch on a H31

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just tried it and it works for me. There's no need to register to read the links. Try refresh F5 when you get there.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
It let me in this time, but the sub-links need you to register.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Couple of differences worth mentioning between the Universals in Catalinas and the Yanmars in H-31. The tacho is not driven off the alternator, there is a magnetic pick-up on the flywheel that counts teeth. It uses very low currents, so the connectors aren't as critical..but they do get corroded and need cleaning. There is no standard ammeter on the Yanmar, so there are no high ampere circuits serviced by those crappy connectors. The wiring diagram I attached shows both those points. The pushbutton for the starter is only a couple of amperes. The power circuit for the entire panel is fed through a crappy 30 ampere fuse holder that is part of the stuff that should be cleaned or replaced ..

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The green thing in the picture is that fuse holder.. you can also see one of the multi-pin connectors . Port side, rear of engineP1030597.JPG

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It let me in this time, but the sub-links need you to register.
Gee, is free too much?:):):)

I've been posting links to our C34IA forum for as long as I've been here, and I gotta admit, you are the very first person who has ever come up with that.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The intermittant starting problem with Yanmars (and perhaps other engines as well) is almost always due to the battery not being able to deliver adequate amps to the solenoid due to poor and/or aging wiring harness connections. My 1986 Yanmar 2GM20f has about a million connectors, all of which reduce power delivered to the solenoid/starter. The easiest fix is to by a 12 vdc/30 amp relay and add it to the solenoid. Total cost for the relay/fuse and holder/wire, etc, is less than $30. It may not be the "best" solution to this common problem, but when this issue came up on my boat some years ago I added the relay and have not had the problem every since. Happiness is hearing that engine start every time you hit the starter....

Attachments

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Hello Jeff,
Yes, I hear the click and I have already replaced the solenoid. Sometimes I have to push the start button repeatedly until it actually turns over. Starting battery is good and isolated and reserved for starting only. Battery cables on starting battery are large automotive type with standard lead battery post clamp connectors..
Which solonoid did you change? The one on the starter or the other one?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
There is only one solenoid, the one on the starter.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Install a relay for the starter solenoid... I would stay away from a radio shack relay, however.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Install a relay for the starter solenoid... I would stay away from a radio shack relay, however.

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I need to do this. Mine takes a couple of presses to get the starter to kick in.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Just so you know why, when I had my system all apart I measured the resistance of the starter solenoid primary winding, the one that connect through that push button switch. To my amazement, it was 10 ohms.

Per ohms law (I'm an Ex Navy Electronics Technician):

I = E(squared)/R -- I=Current, E=voltage ... translation:

I=144/10 which is 14.4 AMPS!!!!!

That cheap push button switch has 14 AMPs shunted through it. Any sort of weakness in ANY part of the wires, connectors, or switch will cause the familiar "click... click".

Shame on Yanmar for putting such a crappy design for such a life depending circuit.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
and to make matters worse Hunter has something like 11 connections between the + and - post of the batteries in the starter solenoid circuit. I neutered my engine harness to remove all the quick connects. Don't need them unless you change your engine often . I also found the instruments now read more in line with what I thought they should and have not had a starter problem in over 4 years

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Just so you know why, when I had my system all apart I measured the resistance of the starter solenoid primary winding, the one that connect through that push button switch. To my amazement, it was 10 ohms.

Per ohms law (I'm an Ex Navy Electronics Technician):

I = E(squared)/R -- I=Current, E=voltage ... translation:

I=144/10 which is 14.4 AMPS!!!!!

That cheap push button switch has 14 AMPs shunted through it. Any sort of weakness in ANY part of the wires, connectors, or switch will cause the familiar "click... click".

Shame on Yanmar for putting such a crappy design for such a life depending circuit.
Are you sure about that calculation? Ohms Law > Current = Voltage / Resistance. 12 V/10 ohms = 1.2 Amps.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Are you sure about that calculation? Ohms Law > Current = Voltage / Resistance. 12 V/10 ohms = 1.2 Amps.
Yup, good catch. You are correct [blushing]... So much for my memory of Ohms Law [grin]. Still, even at the corrected 1.2 AMPS, having a relay or solenoid seems to cure the "click click".

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
on my old 2GM20 F the start circuit voltage traveled up from battery, into a cockpit pushbutton switch on the "B" panel , back down into starter solenoid. after 10 years the start button on B panel was only intermittent. Myanmar suggested wiring a separate high quality circuit between battery and starter solenoid using a 'momentary' switch, which would parallel the outside helm B panel. due to the short wiring run, the Mo switch circuit had very small voltage drop compared to the long run up and back to cockpit.