Replacing Deck Organizer 86-95 model

Aug 19, 2017
Catalina 1985 22 new design SANGER
I recently purchased a 1986 new style Catalina 22. The PO had taken the original deck organizers off and replaced them with an after market style. When he did this he just drilled in 2 SS screws at the end of each Organizer. I removed them and ordered the replacements from CD. After cleaning up his mess it seems that he tried various different things to attach the new organizer. including braking off a screw in the side of the original tapped hole. My question is can I just drill through the block and trough bolt the organizer like on the older models. I am finding the PO who was a mechanical engineer by trade was also the master of zip ties and drywall screws.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
can I just drill through the block and trough bolt the organizer like on the older models.
All depends on the block you are using. The ones I see listed at CD are thru-bolted already so there is no need to drill through the block ?

Or do you mean using the block as a guide, drill through the deck ?

I'd thru-bolt it if possible.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If the hole is over the mast support beam... you may need a very long fastener to through bolt one end. My experience is that under normal conditions the screws will work.... unless.. you exert a lot of effort on the halyard...which I did when trying to set up a static line for a mast climbing system... bingo!!! popped the SS screwed organizer block right out of the deck. Got a new double organizer from Garhaurer, determined to through bolt... but needed the longest 1/4 bolt WM had to clear through the beam... Couple of fender washers for insurance and now I have a confidence in their security.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Yes, you can (and probably should) through-bolt your deck organizers (depending on the design of the organizers, of course). Through-bolting lets you seal the deck core as described by @Maine Sail (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck). You can get 316 Stainless bolts from our hosts here at SailboatOwners.com, from McMaster-Carr (http://mcmaster.com/) and from Bolt Depot (https://www.boltdepot.com/). In my experience, McMaster and Bolt Depot both have reasonable prices and shipping charges (and much wider selection than WM).

Aug 19, 2017
Catalina 1985 22 new design SANGER
After hours of picking cleaning and drilling I was able to get all the threads cleaned out in the bronze mounting block that is glassed in the deck. I was then able to mount them in the original mounting blocks.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
After hours of picking cleaning and drilling I was able to get all the threads cleaned out in the bronze mounting block that is glassed in the deck. I was then able to mount them in the original mounting blocks.
I never knew there was a bronze plate under those deck organizers. Two posts and you've already taught me something! :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
bronze plate ? interesting..
makes sense though. the gudgeon has a bronze backing plate on my 87