Replacing Companion Way Main Hatch (H31)

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
Apologies if this has been covered before. I did try the advanced search but did not manage to find any info on this. I have a H31 1986.

During the course of either buffing the deck gel coat or installing the dodger, one of the contractors stood on the hatch and caused a significant crack (see image). In reviewing things, it seems that replacing the lexan on the hatch is a rather involved process. Has anyone does this before? Any advice or suggestions on how to go about this would be appreciated! Thanks, Sean

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The sea hood has to come off to replace the slider.. Traveller sides, then a bazillion screws into the fiberglass.. when ya go back, use "Bed It" butyl from MaineSail.. and his technique of countersinking the hole a bit to get a good seal. Attached are a couple of shots from a forum member (sorry, I don't remember who) of the sea hood off.. It is seated in butyl and requires a slow steady prying to get it off.. don't bend it as you pry or you'll generate a lot of spider cracks in the gel coat..if ya leave the middle of the traveler on the hood, you can use the mainsheet to hold the hood up once it is loose. The "sissy bar" can be used too to hold it horizontally.
H31%20Companionway%20Hatch%20Cover%20Removed-1.jpg H31%20Companionway%20Hatch%20Cover%20Removed-2.jpg

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
The sea hood has to come off to replace the slider.. Traveller sides, then a bazillion screws into the fiberglass.. when ya go back, use "Bed It" butyl from MaineSail.. and his technique of countersinking the hole a bit to get a good seal.
View attachment 138784 View attachment 138785
Feared as much, but thanks a ton! A good project before the rains come. I will come back and post progress/results pics of my endeavor. Cheers! Sean

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
Agree, except the deck folks are blaming the dodger folks etc etc.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
File a claim with your insurer, let their lawyers's figure out the subrogation.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
I did similar job on Hunter 34 1986 and posted pics about 2 years ago. Sea hood was an absolute bear to get off and took 2 weeks to do so! I then reattached with the dreaded 5200 after refinishing it as there were simply too many screws for me to trust and it was a source of leaks with a thousand screws securing it to the cabin top. Hopefully I will be dead before the job ever has to be done again.
As for the sliding hatch I took the old one to a local window place and they cut and drilled one to match but was very expensive - about $800 but was and is a joy to behold and cleans up beautifully with a finish so clear I often forget it is there when coming out of the cabin and hit my head on it even to this day. I replaced it because it was so crazed after all these years.
There was also a piece of wood on the forward underside of it that acted as a slider, but it squealed horribly as the hatch was opened in the morning waking up the entire marina. Replaced it with a block of starwood; no more screeching.

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
I did similar job on Hunter 34 1986 and posted pics about 2 years ago. Sea hood was an absolute bear to get off and took 2 weeks to do so! .
Your account makes me shudder! I can only imagine what a bear it is to get off. ;)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I took the one on my 34 off several years ago and it was a job requiring a lot of patience, but not that difficult.. When I put it back, I mistakenly used silicone but have had no leaks.. Remember that only the hole in the cabin/deck top needs to be sealed .. the side sealing is cosmetic.. I have a new slider that I got a couple of years ago but have yet to install it.. It is half inch thick acrylic that I got from E-Street Plastics .. I had them cut to rough size and I finished it, using Ipe wood for the handles.. Total cost was about $220 freight and Ipe included..

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
I took the one on my 34 off several years ago and it was a job requiring a lot of patience, but not that difficult.. ..
Thanks for the positive feedback...makes me feel that I might be able to manage this project ;) Cheers, Sean

Dec 23, 2003
Hunter H31 83-87 Captain's Cove Bridgeport, CT
That sure looks like my boat! Did that job a few years back. Where did you find those pictures?