Replacing a rotted cabinet

Spazz

Oct 9, 2016
Hunter 1978 cherubini 30 shoal draft Little Falls
As luck would have it; a leak rotted away the top of the galley cabinet that is directly above my stove. It is the original cabinet to the 1978 Hunter Cherubini 30. Does anyone have any ideas where I would get a replacement?

I am a very accomplished carpenter; so unsure if it is wise for me to even attempt to build my own. Somethings are best left to the professionals.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The chances of finding anything like that for our old boats is probably nil. I assume you meant to write you are not a very accomplished carpenter but it is amazing what you can do with epoxy and varnish. It is relatively easy if you have the original for a template.
Suggest you post some pictures to help others help you.
For what its worth, our interior has quite a collection of dings and bruises and we have adopted the policy that as long as it is sound we just sandpaper smooth and varnish, and it is surprising how good it looks.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Don't be afraid of tackling some carpentry work... Just go slow and plan out every move. It's amazing what you can do by carefully deconstructing damage and then splicing in new wood where required. Find a good local hardwood supplier, they often have off-cuts and shorts of fine hardwoods at deep discounts, really good stock to use for cabinet frame repairs and the like.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Your name is Spazz. What could possibly go wrong?