Replacing A Cutlass Bearing (Photo Heavy)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Replacing a cutlass bearing is not a tough project but does require some thought. On some boats the bearing is inside the dead wood making replacement more of a task than when it's mounted in a strut. These instructions deal with replacing a strut mounted cutlass bearing with the prop shaft already removed.

While there are some commercial tools designed for cutlass bearing removal they are generally expensive for a one-time DIY use. The set screws are not the means of holding the bearing into the strut they are there as back up. The press fit is what holds the bearing in place and the set screws are simply a means of back up.

Often times when a bearing has been installed for a while they can become frozen or corroded in place. Using a press, either hydraulic or mechanical, for removal, can potentially distort the bearing. Nine times out of ten though they work well.

While many folks have had luck with presses they are as I mentioned expensive to buy but can be a potential cost saver when you factor in dropping a rudder or buying a new coupling and having it fitted and faced..

The first step is to remove the set screws. Often times they are filled with crud and growth and must be cleaned before you can get an allen wrench in there. I find a nail or coat hanger a good tool for cleaning out the allen heads. You may also want to hit the set screws with some P.B. Blaster before attempting to remove them. If you see what looks like red or blue Loc-Tite you may want to heat the set screws with a heat gun before trying to remove them. This will avoid the potential stripping of the allen heads.

In this photo you can see I have already made the cut through the bearing. The location of this cut is critical if your strut uses set screws. Some boats do not use set screws so the cut location is not as critical but on struts with set screws it's far easier to utilize the set screw tappings to aid in breaking free the bearing.

The location of the cut should be opposite either the top or bottom of the set screw tappings so that the bolts are pushing right at the cut to split it inward. the picture denotes the optimum cut location of you have set screws.

Making the cut can be done two ways: #1 Cut it by hand with a hack saw #2 Cut it mechanically with a Sawzall.

I DO NOT recommend using a Sawzall if you are not experienced in its use and you have the skill finesse it for exacting use. If using a hack saw you simply remove the bade and insert it throught eh bearing then re-assemble the saw around the strut. Some folks say to install the blade upside down but I honestly find it more accurate and easier to be holding the handle in its proper hack saw orientation.

When making the cut DO NOT cut all the way through the bearing and DO cut evenly. Applying more pressure on one end of the bearing than the other will result in an uneven cut. The saw blade MUST have 100% even pressure to make an even cut. You want both ends of the bearing to become paper thin at the exact same time. If you do cut all the way through and score the inner surface of the strut it's not a huge deal, but, if you do this every time you change a cutlass it will get bad over time.

In this photo you can see that I have cut the bearing paper thin and not scored the strut in the process. I used a Sawzall with a very fine tooth metal cutting blade. I have lots of experience with recriprocating saws and feel quite comfortable with them. You'll have to make that decision on your own. If you are in the least bit questioning your skill please use a hack saw with a good quality blade like a Lennox.

With the bearing cut paper thin I use a cold chisel and dead blow hammer to make the first split of the bearing by setting it on the edge and pounding inward. Be careful not to damage the strut when doing this. This will start the ripping of the very thin surface left in the cutlass bearing. Once you've started the rip simply insert some hex head bolts into the set screw holes and tighten them evenly and you'll collapse the cutlass inward relieving the matting surface pressure in the process.

If you do not have set screws your next move is to use a maple dowel or piece of thin fiberglass pounded between the strut and the bearing to split it along its entire length. Please do not use a screw driver or metallic object to pound and split the bearing. A metallic object could quite easily score the inside of the strut as it may be a harder metal. Use an object that is softer in composition than the strut.

In this photo I've tightened the bolts and collapsed the cutlass bearing relieving its press fit pressure from the strut. You can achieve the same results with a maple dowel pounded between the bearing and strut after initially bending it with a cold chisel & hammer to get the dowel started.

Once you have collapsed the bearing inward simply grip it at the bend with a pair of Vise Grip pliers and twist with the direction of the bend, as shown, while pulling at the same time.

The next step is fairly simple but you must be careful not to remove too much of the struts surface when cleaning it. To clean the bearings mating surface I use a Dremel with the Magic Wand attachment and the burgundy Scotch Brite/abrasive wheel product# 512E. Using the Dremel this cleaning task takes all of about 30 seconds. The burgundy abrasive wheel is a 320 grit equivalent. If you do this by hand use a 320 wet sand paper, or close to it, so you do not damage or remove too much surface area.

If you remove to much of the strut when cleaning you can literally destroy the tolerances and press fit nature of the bearing in the strut. Remember this is simply a cleaning of the bearings mating surface not a sanding.

Installing the bearing is actually quite easy. It requires some threaded rod, use at least 1/2", about four nuts, and some large and thick washers. You may also need some Ivory hand soap.

The most difficult part is actually getting the bearing started. You want it to go in perfectly straight so care must be taken to get it perfectly straight before beginning to tighten the threaded rod. If it goes in crooked it will bind and yo can ruin the bearing.

You may want to lube the inside of the strut and the outside of the cutlass with regular Ivory soap in bar form. Once the soap gets wet it dissipates and unlike grease or other lubes will not compromise the press fit of the bearing in the strut.

A couple of tips from this photo. I use a spark plug wrench to slide over the threaded rod and a deep drive socket on the other end. There is tremendous force required to press the bearing into the strut so I use two heavy duty washers with the smooth sides facing each other. Most all washers have a smooth side and a rough side..

Between these two washers I apply some wheel grease so they rotate on each other easily. This prevents the washer from wanting to turn on the face of the cutlass bearing and really makes it much easier to tighten and press the cutlass into the strut.

Please do yourself a favor and use THICK washers and multiples if you need to. Thin washers will bend or dish and can destroy the cutlass bearing by flaring the end. Also remember to use at least 1/2" threaded rod. This is not a job for wimpy threaded rod.

The finished product! Press it in until flush with the end of the strut, re-install the set screws with blue Loc-Tite, and you're done.

Unless you own a hydraulic or mechanical press, and know how to use it, the easiest and most reliable way to replace a cutlass is to do it with the shaft out. I would recommend replacing a cutlass any time you have the shaft out as they are cheap insurance.

This entire job start to finish, after the shaft was already removed, even with taking these photos, was about 30 minutes.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Great post "Maine"! I was not able to pull mine out by just collapsing one side however. I ended up making multiple lengthwise cuts and then chiseling out little sections. I guess it depends upon how long it was in there and corroding. Also I was forunate in not having to build a press. The shop where I purchased the bearing lent me the press. It might be because I also bought a new shaft and coupler and shaft saver from them.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
Someone on here gave me that tip of hacksawing it lengthwise. That helped out a lot. It didn't just pop out though. I wedged screwdrivers in there and kept using the vice grips to grab it and roll it, then wedge a screwdriver under and pry some more.
To install I used a pipe clamp, made sure everything was lined up and cranked it in. It went in easier than the old one came out.
I tried to be as gentle as possible when hammering the chisels and screwdrivers in there. It just seemed like a bad idea to be pounding on a strut. I didn't even think about scoring the inside of the strut with the screwdriver. I'm not sure if I could have got it out with a wood wedge though. I didn't even worry about the set screw, I don't believe that thing is not going anywhere.
It probably only took 1/2 hour.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Nice job as always MS, but the hard part is removing the shaft (plus in my case the prop) and then re-aligning properly. I, and the rest of the internet world, would appreciate a well thought out, well documented version of alignment 101, but it is a heck of a task to take that project on.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
When I replaced my cutless bearing I, too, found the hardest part of the job was disconnecting the shaft coupling from the transmission. That is a whole other story. And, since I was doing this job in mid-winter, together with the awkward height of the strut under the boat (which requires working on your knees), I decided to simply drop the strut and take the whole thing home to work on in a warm basement. There was no way to remove the very old and cruddy set screws so I had to drill them out and retap the holes for new ones. Once I got ready to insert the new cutless bearing, I found it easier to do so by putting it into the freezer over night to contract its size slightly.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Catalina 22 Long Beach Harbor, MS
Nice. I really like the threaded rod idea. I do not have a cutlass bearing, but can apply this in other situations. Thank you...

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Other tips for cutlass bearing

Nice documentation Maine Sail. I have a couple of suggestions to make the replacement of the cutlass bearing a little easier.

Before you install the new cutlass bearing, place it in your freezer overnight. Get it really cold then insert it into the strut. The cold temp will slightly shrink the bearing making it easier to slip into the strut.

When you purchase your new cutlass bearing, buy one with a fiberglass casing rather than the metallic ones. The fiberglass casing will not corrode within the strut and makes removal much easier when it comes time to replace it again.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Maine Sail, your website would be first port of call for DIYers !

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Nice documentation Maine Sail. I have a couple of suggestions to make the replacement of the cutlass bearing a little easier.

Before you install the new cutlass bearing, place it in your freezer overnight. Get it really cold then insert it into the strut. The cold temp will slightly shrink the bearing making it easier to slip into the strut.

When you purchase your new cutlass bearing, buy one with a fiberglass casing rather than the metallic ones. The fiberglass casing will not corrode within the strut and makes removal much easier when it comes time to replace it again.
I've tried the freezer trick, in fact just did an experiment with some press fit bearings for a water pump, but the problem is that it warms up too fast once you get it started in the strut. The metal on the cutlass is quite thin and warms up really quickly especially when on contact with other metals.You may get the first 1/4" in but beyond that I find you still need to press them into position.

As for the synthetic Johnson cutlass bearings there have been some reported issues with them in regards to staying in place. The guys at my boat yard will only use the naval brass ones because the expansion/contraction coefficients are much more similar to the strut. Apparently they had one of the synthetic bearings spin out of a big 50+ foot East Bay that caused about 4k worth of damage, new strut, new shaft, new couplings etc. etc....

I don't find the corrosion to be an issue if you use the method above and feel safer with the metallic cutlass. The whole job including shooting the photos took under a 1/2 hour. It kind of reminds me of the whole Globe impeller situation. They are supposed to be better impellers, can be run dry, yadda yadda yadda, yet many of them have spun their hubs prematurely. I'm sure 98+% of the synthetic cutlass bearings don't have issues but I don't want to be in that 2%..

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Keep it on a block of dry ice, right up to when you need to install it. :)

I've tried the freezer trick, in fact just did an experiment with some press fit bearings for a water pump, but the problem is that it warms up too fast once you get it started in the strut. The metal on the cutlass is quite thin and warms up really quickly especially when on contact with other metals.You may get the first 1/4" in but beyond that I find you still need to press them into position.

As for the synthetic Johnson cutlass bearings there have been some reported issues with them in regards to staying in place. The guys at my boat yard will only use the naval brass ones because the expansion/contraction coefficients are much more similar to the strut. Apparently they had one of the synthetic bearings spin out of a big 50+ foot East Bay that caused about 4k worth of damage, new strut, new shaft, new couplings etc. etc....

I don't find the corrosion to be an issue if you use the method above and feel safer with the metallic cutlass. The whole job including shooting the photos took under a 1/2 hour. It kind of reminds me of the whole Globe impeller situation. They are supposed to be better impellers, can be run dry, yadda yadda yadda, yet many of them have spun their hubs prematurely. I'm sure 98+% of the synthetic cutlass bearings don't have issues but I don't want to be in that 2%..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Dry ice and acetone will chill it down very well(minus about 175 degrees F) but if you drop it you may crack the rubber.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
So Much Hassle

My H376 got through 2 cutless bearings in the first 4 years and I was incensed that each time I needed to grovel in the bilge to undo the engine flange coupling. Then use a socket spanner between the flanges to press out the prop shaft. Then to draw out the shaft. Fortunately, there was enough spring in the shaft & strut so I didn't need to drop the rudder just to get the shaft out - and all because the wall thickness of the cutless bearing was too thin to allow it to be pressed out using a metal sleeve. So then I needed to saw a piece out of it so that it could be chiselled out of the strut.
All rather poor engineering IMHO and all because it used a 1/16" thin wall tube of 1 1/4" outside diameter just to save a few pennies on the original manufacture and is putting everyone to the trouble that Main has so factually described.

I reckon the boatbuilders do it just to keep the boatyards in easy money!

By contrast my previous boat used a 1" dia shaft with a 1 1/2" diameter outer sleeve cutless which had a decent 1/8" wall thickness of bronze plus a decent 1/8" thickness of rubber. On the two occasions I needed to change it (over the 17 years I owned the boat), I only needed to get an old worn cutless and saw a 1" wide slot in its length to use as an extraction tool. This fitted over the prop shaft ahead of the strut and - would you believe it - gentle tapping with a hammer and the bearing slid out nice as you please.
The stark contrast with the Hunter strut experience caused me to take the strut off the boat and have it bored out to 1 1/2" so that I can use my extraction tool.
My two securing screws are no longer little grub screws with pointed ends in dimples hardly drilled into the bearing. I now drill the holes right through the bronze sleeve, but a size smaller than the screw threads and not through the rubber lining. The securing screws are made to length so they do not protrude beyond the inner surface of the cutless sleeve and the thread has been ground off of the end 1/8" so they fit snugly in the sleeve. Thus they now positively retain the bearing in place. These screws are also held in place using loctite just to make sure.
It took a little trouble but now it really is just a fifteen minute job to take off the prop and fit a new bearing.

BTW I think the bearings are called 'Cutless' because they 'cut less' than the old white metal bearings in use before the rubber lined ones became available. (Nothing to do with pirates' swords).

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
Donalex-Sometimes I get pissed off enough to do things like that too. I think I would have trid to come up with a better tool to remove it, but whatever gets the job done.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Dry ice and acetone will chill it down very well(minus about 175 degrees F) but if you drop it you may crack the rubber.
Hmmm, how would that work?

Alcohol would be a safer fluid, and if you buy a nice alcohol you can drink it and then just press the bearing in the usual way... :)

--Tom.

Jan 22, 2008
cal 25 - Charlottetown PE
I removed my old Cutlass Bearing by using a big socket on one end this socket was big enough to allow the old Berring to slide inside but small enough as so it sits on the outside of the strut. The next socket on the other side of the strut is small enough to fit inside the strut and push onn the Berring. I used a long bolt that went through both sockets and using a nut with two wrenches I tightened the nut and the Berring came half way out with ease. I process took 5 minutes.

Jan 12, 2009
We replaced our cutlass bearing last spring as advised by our boatyard in Mystic CT.
They explained it would be simple however watching the procedure grew to more and more special tools that I had never seen and would not have had access too.
In the end I guess there was no vibration and it cost about 150.00.
Personally I couldn't have done it myself. 28 o"day. Jim

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 34 South Portland ME
Cutless bearing replacement

Great post. The photos are excellent. I just installed a dripless stuffing box and wanted to repalce the cutless bearing since it was all apart. The cutless bearing was not bad. I did not replace it, I would have to remove the rudder to get the shaft out. Is this common that the rudder needs to be removed to remove the shaft? I have a Catalina 34.