Replacement of soles in a 1983 H31

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Ray I primarily used a Dewalt five inch random orbital sander for the first sanding and then a Dewalt 1/4 sheet palm sander for the 150 and 220 grit. I tilted the edge of the sander on the front side then the back side to get into the edges then hand sanded with a piece of sandpaper between the edges. I then epoxied them front and back then varnished the top and sides like I did the sole. I am a "git er done" kind of guy so I didn't worry about the shoulder of each slat. They turned out nicely. Jury is till out about adding a little non-skid to another coat of varnish. The off shore race I do next month will give me some more information about that issue.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
So there are places between boards (where the top boards contact the bottom boards) that didn't get epoxy? Did you spend much time trying to brush epoxy down the sides of the top boards, over the shoulders and down the sides?

What I really want to do is to take them completely apart and refinish each board individually, but without a jig I'd be afraid of messing up the dimensions. So, I guess I'll just see how it goes, and start with the one in the head, which is the least frequently seen. I'm also considering skipping the epoxy step for these.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Yeah, I struggled with whether to epoxy them or not, after all its teak! But just to have a consistent finish I did it. I did epoxy and varnish the sides of the slats as best I could not worrying too much about drips on the back side.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I still havn't gotten around to doing this on the Stargazer, but was wondering if anyone had tried anything other than plywood? Refinishing a whole section of my sole, and then having it destroyed by a hot water tank leak, has got me thinking about ways to do it with waterproof materials, and maybe a faux teak or mahogany and holly finish. My Dock neighbor just redid his floors on his Catalina 36 in standard marine ply with LonSeal, and it looks really nice.

I was thinking some sort of waterproof underlayment, and then using
Lonseal IMO Lonmarine Wood Marine Flooring - Mahogany & Holly

Lonseal Mahogany and Holly.jpg

I am looking for inexpensive suggestions for a strong waterproof undelayment to use with this. It has to support the weight and span of these floors.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
At $40 for a 1' by 6' piece (72" width sold by the linear foot), I wouldn't call that stuff inexpensive.

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
This thread has been informative, especially the part about removing the sole around the galley and aft berth as that is the part my wife and I haven't done yet.

For the record, here are a few pictures of us changing the cabin sole in the middle of the boat, which was all rotted out when we bought our Hunter 31 August, 2017 and one of our first projects.

I used plywood coated with polyurethane and vinyl planking (purchased at Home Depot). That vinyl planking is essentially plastic and impervious to water.

We used only two sections of flooring. I templated the old rotten wood and that was how it was done originally. However, SFS, I saw you did it in 3 sections and that is probably a better idea so you can lift out the entire middle. Mine has a cutout I can lift for access to the bilge in the same place as the original, which is not a huge access area.

We also painted the primary bulkhead at the same time. In these pictures it just has the first coats of Kilz applied.

Oh, one other thing, in the picture, "Under Settee Cabinets," that vertical board on the right (the port settee support board) I also replaced and put access doors in the hallway so we can get in there without going through the seats.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I finished my main salon sole last month. I applied one coat of matte varnish prior to installation then after the installation of the sole I applied four coats of gloss topped off with one coat of matte. I waited until after the installation before varnishing so that the plugs would be done at the same time as the sole. Here are a couple of photos.
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I only used Epifanes varnish, Epifanes gloss works well to build the thickness then finish off with a coat of Epifanes matte. I used this same stuff when I replaced all the cabin soles of my CSY 44 before we set off cruising and found the matte finish works quite well, it is not slippery like most gloss finishes are. I should also mention that all the undersides and edges were coated with epoxy. The edges of the hatch openings as well as the edges of the hatches are 1/4 inch teak. The epoxy should keep the soles from rotting in the future.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I finished my main salon sole last month. I applied one coat of matte varnish prior to installation then after the installation of the sole I applied four coats of gloss topped off with one coat of matte. I waited until after the installation before varnishing so that the plugs would be done at the same time as the sole. Here are a couple of photos.View attachment 153485 View attachment 153486
How long did this project take?

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
It only took about an hour to remove the settees and the old cabin sole. It probably took me about three days to make the new soles and hatches using the old ones and including coating the undersides and edges with epoxy. However, it did not happen all at once, it was spread over two months last fall. After launching this spring it took a half day to install the new soles, drill the screw holes with a forsner bit, screw the soles down, plug the holes and trim and sand the plugs. After that I put one coat of varnish per day for 5 days. The last part was to reinstall the settees which took about a day. I tend to be very picky with my woodworking so I am a bit slower than others. I am very satisfied with the result. It is very rewarding when you can do a job which looks just a good as the original but if you can do it with improvements over the original that is even more rewarding. I don't understand why the builder did not epoxy the edges and undersides of the soles on these boats given the dampness in the bilge and lack of ventilation under the soles, it is a given the soles are going to rot, just a matter of time.