Replacement of Diesel Engine Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2013
TBD TBD TBD
We're considering the purchase of a '78 30 ft Cherubini with a Yanmar Diesel. To our knowledge, there's nothing wrong with the engine, but we're nervous about such an old engine. This one has been rebuilt, but not recently. Can anyone give us an approximate price of how much it costs to replace and install a new diesel Yanmar or equivalent diesel engine?

We understand that there's no way of knowing exactly what it will cost -- we're just looking for a ballpark figure.

Any and all input appreciated!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
the Yanmar engines of that era are really tough critters.. IF the rebuild was a good one.. then it is good for several thousand hours.. Do you have a count of the hours since rebuild, and exactly what was done on the rebuild?.. A good Yanmar mechanic could do an evaluation for 300-500 dollars for things like compression and oil pressure and condition of the fuel injectors and the high pressure pump..
Remember that you have sails in the event the engine fails..
A new Beta Marine engine would be in the vicinity of $7000 to $8000 to $10000..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Remember boats are not like cars that may get used every day and accumulate thousands of miles in a couple of years. Boats are used less frequently and in a sailboat the engine is used even less as the primary method of propulsion are the sails and the wind. It is not uncommon to find 30 year old engines in very good shape. The use of a marine engine is measured in hours and a diesel engine can easily go 10,000 hours before requiring a rebuild. A visual inspection of the engine can tell a lot, check for rust which can result from water leaks through failed gaskets, look for oil whcih may be leaking again from gaskets. A recently painted engine could be hiding some leaks and thoroughly dirty engine is usually the result of poor maintenance. Yanmar engines rely solely on cylinder compression to heat the fuel to its ignition temperature. An engine with good compression will start right away within the first two or three revolutions while one with lesser compression may have to turn a few more times. Check for smoke after the engine reaches operation temperature, if the rings are worn you may see a white-bluish smoke coming from the exhaust. Run the engine up in neutral through its RPM range and then making sure the boat is well tied put it forward gear and again run the engine through its RPM range. Listen for engine misses or rough running. If there are marked differences on how the engine runs between neutral and under load then the motor mounts or shaft alingment could be responsible. Check the engine control panel and make sure the buzzer and warning lamps are working properly. When you first turn the key the oil pressure light and battery charging light and the buzzer should go on. There is toggle switch to test the lamp for Temperature but you do that once the engine is running. After the engine starts the lamps and buzzer should go off. After the engine is ran for a while and you shut it off leave the key switch on and wait for the buzzer alarm indicating the oil pressure has dropped. In a good engine that should happen within a second or two but if there is significant delay in triggering the buzzer that would be an indication of real heavy oil being used to perhaps mask the effects of an engine that has lost compression and would be burning a thinner oil. Understand that in the condition of the sails and the condition of the engine you are probably looking at 80% of the purchase price. You can tell a lot from a cold start so ask the seller not to start the engine until you get there. When you take a sail test observe how the engine runs and if it is fairly smooth with power then you may likely have a good one.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
I would second what has been said. When we bought our 77 Hunter in 2007 we knew the engine was old. Despite some minor problems like a loose exhaust elbow she ran and started easily. Fr the first three years we had her we depended on this engine for docking windless returns etc.

Late in that third season something damaged the flywheel and the starter would not always engage. Rotating it a bit by using the hand crank to shift from the bad spot often allowed it to start. The the starter failed. The ysb 12 was going to have to be pulled to deal with the flywheel issue and when we looked at a rebuild and realized the boat was badly under powered we decided to bite the bullet. We put in a new Yanmar ym15 the boat makes hull speed under power in slack water without a wind.

The original engine is very unpowered as we had some plans for a 500 mile coastal trip and the need to come in at some turbulent ocean inlets we did the reporter. It cost about $10000 to do but it has Ben wonderful. Would I have done it sooner? No I am glad I kept the YSB those first years. If I had decided I wanted rid of the boat I could have never recovered the full price of the new engine. Also being badly underpowered made me sail more of the time. Wind on the nose with the new power plant we go into it if we feel like it with the old engine sailing was always going to be faster.

If it runs well keep it enjoy it and then if your plans show a need for more power either trade up or reporter. I love my 30 I am glad it's antique power plant didn't scare me off.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum, NicAndl.. Lots of good resource data and info here..

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I agree with Kloudie, the yanmar is one tough engine. Another thing you can do is have the oil analyzed for contaminants like iron etc. Should use oil that has been run in the engine for a while. I have a YGMF3 and I was also worried about its age(1985) but after 400 hours that I have put on it, it just seems to run better. Run them hard, loaded and for a few hours at least once every few trips. Its actually good for them.

Aug 31, 2013
TBD TBD TBD
Thank you all so much for these great responses. They are extremely helpful. We're happy to have found this wonderful forum. It certainly speaks for choosing a Hunter. We're proceeding with negotiations on this boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.