Replacement Lense for Nav Lights

Aug 21, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Waccamaw, NC / Holden Bch
Hello all,
First post (I promise a more formal and detailed introduction to come).
Is there any way to just replace the acrylic/plastic lenses on the Aqua Signal* Navigation lenses in the Nav lights on a New Model Catalina 22? Every one of my lights is intact except they are weathered so much that they are no longer transparent in any way. The black housing material is in 10 out of 10 shape, but the acrylic lenses is 4/10.
My anchor light actually cracked completely in two when I tried to remove the cap to check the light bulb!
I see some replacement units online but it includes the housing, the lense, the wiring, etc. Just looking for the clear, red, green portions.

Thanks in advance.

RG

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Do you mean Aqua Signal? If so, many of their lenses are available as replacement parts.

That said, this is a universal problem. They craze very quickly, and become less transparent and brittle.

Based on my knowledge of plastics, this could probably be solved by cooling the mold more slowly, and perhaps by stress-relieving the casting.

I have been toying with the idea of heat treating my new lenses: heating them and letting them soak in an electric oven, and then cooling very slowly. The idea would be to drive off any excess solvent, and to stress-relieve them.

Anyway, if Aqua Signal, what series are yours?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018
Anyway, if Aqua Signal, what series are yours?
Yes, Aqua Signal, my typo!
Series....not entirely sure. Didnt bring the phone to the boat earlier when I unscrewed everything.
It's a 1987 sail # 13880.
All bulbs except the deck light are the single bulb concave end festoon bulbs. 10W.
Was looking to verify bulb type as I want to switch all to LED when I noticed how bad of a condition they are actually in.

Do you have a source for the replacement lenses? I looked today from a few sources and couldn't find anything except entire units.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I got a few hits when I googled it, "aqua signal replacement lenses" - all series 41, I think.

Aug 21, 2018
May be reading the wrong thing here, but would these numbers mean series 47 and 45? It appears that those will not fit my unit and were the same ones that I found when searching. The prices also seem.....unreasonable.... Practically the exact same cost as a new unit including wiring and bulb.

@DayDreamer41 Google is a great tool when you type in signal instead of series like I mistakenly did. I wouldn't exactly call it friendly as conversations with other actual people are pretty cool too. Google isn't so good with that aspect.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I can't tell by those images. My guess is that they are series 25 lamps. Why not ask Catalina?

Aug 21, 2018
@jviss All understood. I guess I got this thread side-tracked a little bit. I'm very aware of the replacement housings and all in one units. However, at $33 each plus shipping, I was trying to find a $6 piece of plastic to just replace what was bad. I really don't want to spend $150 on something if someone out there has experience with how to just replace the only parts that I need to replace.
I'm experienced in online shopping, researching parts, buying things (have already spent $600+ on Catalina Direct.....but I'm looking for an easy fix to what I have made into a complicated problem.

Thanks again

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty sure what you have is a Series 25 Aqua Signal (see the "TD 25" in the picture) .. Parts used to be available, but not so anymore I was looking for the bi-color lens for my Series 25 a couple of days ago and could not locate anything.. I found a clear lens for the stern light, and the individual red or green for a side light, but not the bi-color.. Anchor light lens: https://www.ebay.com/p/Aqua-Signal-...tion-Light/3017366456?iid=323374579239&chn=ps
The entire bi-color assembly is $25-30.. and I guess with the LED lights taking over, they've stopped marketing the lens alone..
Welcome to the forum!

Aug 21, 2018
Pretty sure what you have is a Series 25 Aqua Signal (see the "TD 25" in the picture) .. Parts used to be available, but not so anymore I was looking for the bi-color lens for my Series 25 a couple of days ago and could not locate anything.. I found a clear lens for the stern light, and the individual red or green for a side light, but not the bi-color.. Anchor light lens: https://www.ebay.com/p/Aqua-Signal-...tion-Light/3017366456?iid=323374579239&chn=ps
The entire bi-color assembly is $25-30.. and I guess with the LED lights taking over, they've stopped marketing the lens alone..
Welcome to the forum!
You are a true American hero! (a bit much?) Thank you though. I just purchased the e-bay masthead anchor light assembly for $13 thanks to your link. Now trying to scrounge around and find the steaming light cover and stern light cover. (thoughts on those being the same lens? I think there is a good chance they are identical even though they go in two different housings.....?)
Now off to continue the search for the bi-color lens. I'll post back here if anything turns up!
Thanks @kloudie1

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You might try a marine reseller, ours is salty dog, strips off lights and just about everything from trashed boats and resells them., I got some of my sail hardware and even some expired daytime smoke flares for little or no cost.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You are welcome DialedN. I was hoping that the parts were still around, but I think the last time I bought a bi-color lens, it was around $12.. not much money to be made there.. I am on the second one since 1991.. I was hoping that someone in the shop here on the forum would chime in 'cause lots of Hunters and Catalinas have that series light.. I have not tried calling Aqua Signal directly, but that may open a door?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you think you have a picture of the lens, I can look in BaconSails.com store nearbye.

Aug 21, 2018
If you think you have a picture of the lens, I can look in BaconSails.com store nearbye.
Awesome. That'd be great. We are anchored on the lake tonight and I saw your message at 1245am, so my apologies, but yes, that is me in my boxers!
No pic of steaming light as it's up the mast too far to snap a photo at night.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@DialedN_87 welcome to the forum.
I think you’ve discovered one of the social issues of our industrial society. A $6 plastic part is not worth the process of manufacturing and distribution when I can sell you a complete replacement for around $23. Both parts will have a planned obsolescence of a few years.
Here is the google search term “aqua signal navigation lights series 25” and you’ll find multiple sellers of the whole light in the $20 to $30 range. Some even offer free shipping.

The assembled pieces are cheaper than the marketing of individual pieces costs.

Is this a great world or what.

One thought you might try one of those lense cleaning kits they use on car headlights. At least for a while it might rejuvenate your light lense.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Awesome. That'd be great. We are anchored on the lake tonight and I saw your message at 1245am, so my apologies, but yes, that is me in my boxers!
No pic of steaming light as it's up the mast too far to snap a photo at night.
I'm going to Bacons today for myself. Are you still in need of the lenses? I'll just price them, but if you get a number back to me, I can call you from there. Ron

Aug 21, 2018
I'm going to Bacons today for myself. Are you still in need of the lenses? I'll just price them, but if you get a number back to me, I can call you from there. Ron
Ron, yes sir. The anchor light should be delivered Wednesday, so hopefully, I'll be good to go on that.
Still looking for clear stern lens, bi-color nav lens, and clear steaming lens.
As shown in pics above, both stern and nav lights have the screw that goes in directly in the center top and bottom. The steaming light appears to be exactly the same as the stern, even though the black housing is different.
Thanks for the assistance to all! It's really not very simple for me to do these things as there are no marine shops anywhere near my vicinity, you all have been a big help.

Attachments