Replace Hunter 28.5 cabin soul

Oct 9, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis
Looking to replace the inside cabin soul as most of it is water logged and rotting. Is there a way to do this with ease? or do you have to pull out the old stuff and measure it all and send it to some one to do or could you do this your self? Asking for a friend......

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It's 3/4 inch marine ply, teak and holly, kind of a specialized product, but widely available, you will have to use the old pieces for a pattern, let me know if you can't find it locally.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The destination for a "soul" depends on the belief system of the person asking....
If asking about the teak and holly sole pieces, you will need to make a pattern and cut new pieces out some Very Expensive sheets of plywood.
In these here modernistic times, you could also use some new-fangled synthetic teak and holly surface material that looks surprisingly real, and will never need refinishing....
Just one link of several found on the 'net:
https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-r...ring/marine-teak-holly-boat-interior-flooring

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
"Water Logged and Rotted" Get rid of all of it . Weather you go with the Teak/holly ply or the synthetic panel your first have to make a template of the new sole. Use a foam core panel available from art supply houses, I'm not sure of the technical name for the stuff, but it's what architects use to build presentation models

Oct 9, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis
Thanks guys. Needed the point in the right direction to get me going. Found a local lumber guy with the teak/holly 4x8 sheets. will make a template of it and then look for a master woodworker to cut. The synthetic stuff comes in planks and snaps together. I don't think I could use it to do the sole....unless they sell it in in 4x8 as well. I have yet to find some one that does.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
The destination for a "soul" depends on the belief system of the person asking....
If asking about the teak and holly sole pieces, you will need to make a pattern and cut new pieces out some Very Expensive sheets of plywood.
In these here modernistic times, you could also use some new-fangled synthetic teak and holly surface material that looks surprisingly real, and will never need refinishing....
Just one link of several found on the 'net:
https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-r...ring/marine-teak-holly-boat-interior-flooring
Interesting $ number with the Plasteak product. Its listed at $50/linear foot and sold only in 6 foot wide rolls. So an 8 foot lenght would cost $400. That equates to about $266 for an equivalent 4X8 and then you have to add the cost of a 4X8 sheet of marnine grade plywood at $75 or so. That takes the cost of the Plasteak at $341 for an equivalent 4X8 sheet which is more expensive than premiumTeak & Holly plywood. Of course the Teak and Holly Plasteak product won't be as easily damaged on the veneer side as the Teak & Holly Plywood but the underlying plywood substrate for the Plasteak is just as easily affected by moisture. For me, I'm more of a tradionalist so I'll stick with the all wood premium Teak & Holly plywood product (which I can get for $275 per 4X8 sheet.) PM me if you want info on where I can get this for that price. I plan on replacing much of my cabin sole this coming summer or winter.

Oct 9, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis
Thanks for all the input. Have a friend who knows a guy who does this kind of work so going to stick with the all wood. Pulled all the boards up today and what a mess! Cant wait to get the new ones in so the boat looks good as new. Already smells cleaner!!There are a couple of screws that are now stuck in the fiber glass of the boat as they have rusted apart. Away of getting them out or a hole punch to just pop em through the hole work okay?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So happy you found the “soul” of your boat.

Here is an idea for a cabin sole.

upload_2019-3-27_19-32-35.jpeg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
You may want to check out this link to get an almost rot proof sole, that looks beautiful.

fhp3

Aug 5, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Cataumet MA
Hi Warren
What ever happened to all the files on the 28.5 site? Unfortunately I purchased my 28.5 after the site shut down. Especially the pics

Thanks
Fred

fhp3

Aug 5, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Cataumet MA
There is a Facebook group for Hunter 28.5 that has a lot of DIY folks on it who can help answer your questions.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I often wondered what happened to those files/pics, too. They may be in the Hunter archives here, but not sure.