Replace Hot Water Heater

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Find any Seaward water heater vendor. SureMarine in Seattle IIRC is one. Google it. Good luck.

It's only if you have BAD local drinking water.

Bad as in what - some sort of dissolved material in the water that conducts? I seek a learning experience here.

My hot water heater, 10 yrs old, doesn't have an anode, the PO didn't use one and I was ignorant of anodes for water heaters until this post.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bad as in what - some sort of dissolved material in the water that conducts? I seek a learning experience here.
Read reply #21, page 2. That's all I got on it, really. Call Seaward and ask if you want more. Point is it ain't about corrosion.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hi KWZ:

WHOLESALE MARINE

Product SKU: CAM-11916
Camco Water Heater Anode Rod with Drain
These Camco Water Heater Anode Rods extend the life of your water heater and protect it from corrosion. This assembly features the replaceable magnesium anode, a brass plug, 3/4" NPT threads and a pit cock style drain. The NPT thread is what is important. If you get one let me know how it fits. I'm trying to find a source here in Canada (Toronto)

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Water heater anodes 101:
If you put two metals together in water, one will corrode to protect the other. Which metal is which is determined by where they are on the galvanic scale. Most plumbers (but not necessarily most boat owners) know better than to screw a steel fitting into a copper fitting because the steel will immediately start to rust. It is less “noble” than copper. The metal being protected is the cathode. The metal being consumed is the anode. The anode protects all the other metal in a water heater...and removing it won't just shorten the life of a water heater, it'll cut the life of a water heater in half...which is why every domestic water heater mfr specifically states that removing the anode voids the warranty.

Anodes are included in the water heaters that have glass-lined steel tanks to protect the inside of the tank against corrosion from acids in the water, stray electrical currents, etc. Glass lined tanks, when the water heater is being built, are heated up red hot. Then glass powder is sprayed inside the tank and it adheres upon contact. However, it doesn't cover every single crack and crevice inside the tank - it should, but in actual practice, it doesn't. The purpose of the anode is to protect those spots inside the tank that have not been glass-covered from rusting away prematurely. The anode is eaten away, rather than the tank being eaten away. Kind of a backup to the glass lining.

The anode is a magnesium rod, about 3/4" in diameter that is attached to the inside of the hot water "out" nipple, via a plastic coupling. It is electrically isolated from the fittings and from the tank. It extends all the way across the inside of the tank, stopping just short of the other side. There is an iron rod in the center of the magnesium that supports it, the iron being stronger than the magnesium. As the magnesium is eaten away and the iron rod exposed, there's a chemical reaction between the water, the iron and the magnesium that causes the "rotten egg" smell. Replacing the anode and flushing out the tank will usually make the foul smell go away.

The least expensive marine water heaters don't have replaceable anodes...instead of glass lined tanks, they have anodized steel or even aluminum tanks...when the anodizing wears off the tank walls, the only cure is a new water heater. But ALL water heaters, domestic and marine have anodes of some kind.

May 2, 2012
Hi Peggy:
Just read your info. Was there something you where pointing out. My Tank didn't come with a Anode so I wanted to put one in. The Drain type made a lot of sense. The drain plug part is brass which I think would be OK. (I think). The info I got about the Interior is this ....
  • Inner tanks made from Alcoa Alclad aluminum alloy.
  • Magnesium anodes available
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Are you sure you want BRASS on a boat? Bronze, yes...but brass for just about anything but a bell is usually considered a no-no 'cuz it corrodes...bronze doesn't. If the brass comes in contact with the aluminum, that could be a problem too.

So methinks you need to have a chat with the water heater mfr before buying the anode with drain.

May 2, 2012
Good point Peggie. I'll look into it further. Thanks for you input. Much appreciated.
Cheers:)
2 Old Pirates

May 2, 2012
Hi Peggie:
I talked to a rep from Camco and he said that the only brass piece in the anode is the actual value itself which has no connection to the body of the tank in or out. He pointed out that if you look at the photo you can see the set up of the Anode Construction.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates:)