Replace Hot Water Heater

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
So back to the water heater replacement. Witz, do you have the new one installed? While it is out, a good time to take advantage of the access and replace the blower hose. Mine was dried out and literally crumbled when touched. Also a good time to inspect the exhaust hose. I replaced mine while heater was out of the way.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I looked at the Blower hose and it still looked fine so I did not fool with it, but yea would have been a good time to replace.

Last eve I connected new domestic water hoses, as they had to be longer. It was a bit of a pain to get the hoses off the tee barbs as they were original installed under the Fuel and Engine coolant lines, it took a few well placed words to get then off and reconnected, without breaking the tees. Access to the hose clamps was very limited.

I have declared last Sunday as national HWH replacement day. I had been in my basement looking for some SS screws to mount the new HWH on the boat and heard water dripping. As it turned out my house HWH had just failed and started to leak, water had not even reached the floor drain yet. This was a smaller 4 Gal. tank I had put in a few years ago, in series after the 40gal tank, used when I was living there alone to save energy. So an hour later I had it removed from the circuit and back online, with the use of many SS pipe fitting my Dad had collected over the years. Yea Junk!! BTW the 40gal is 35yrs old and still works. The 6yr old one failed. They just don't make them as they use too!!!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Are you sure about the zinc anode? Every Seaward water heater manual I've seen says to not use zinc, only magnesium.
I will check again, very possible I have mixed this up, if I have sorry for the confusion.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Witzend: I bought this hose clamp tool and it's made loosening and tightening much easier (I'm slowly replacing all of the fresh water hoses in the boat, in addition to all the waste hoses).

http://smile.amazon.com/Ideal-Tridon-80001999058-Flexible-Driver-Reversible/dp/B00529CVS8

I also bought a metric one for AWAB clamps.

Sorry to hear about your home HWH. I've replaced ours 2 times now. It requires moving the furnace to get at it. Almost as bad as the C310!

Jan 26, 2008
Catalina 380 Long Beach, Ms
Paulj, what is that white plastic valve connected to the engine hose by the hot water heater? Is that a shut off valve? I am also replacing my water heater and would like to replace that valve. Is that a home depot item or Catalina item?

Thanks, Russ

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Witzend
I just found my tank leaking today so thanks for posting about how to get it out.

It looks like you looked at two different suppliers to buy the new tank. Any difference between the tanks or were shopping for the best price and freight? They look the same to me.

I'm also wondering how you bent the aft corner when removing the old tank.

Thanks
Gary

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witzend
I just found my tank leaking today so thanks for posting about how to get it out.

It looks like you looked at two different suppliers to buy the new tank. Any difference between the tanks or were shopping for the best price and freight? They look the same to me.

I'm also wondering how you bent the aft corner when removing the old tank.

Thanks
Gary
Loosened the steering cable and pulled it out of the way than used a hammer to bash in the corner. Not pretty but effective. All the tanks were manufactured by Seaward.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hi guys. I was told that there is a Drain/Anoid Value for the Hot Water Heater you can get. Anyone here of this?
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Last edited:
May 2, 2012
Hi KZW:
I wasn't clear enough:banghead:. The Anode I was looking for is a combination drain/anode. I stupidly misplaced the info so I'm out searching about for some info that leads to a purchase of this product.:(
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

May 2, 2012
Hi KZW:
Here is an image of what I was looking for. This is for a Camco heater. I was told there is one that will fit the Seaward heater.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I tried to take the drain valve out to see what was left of the anode after I pulled the HWH, but it was frozen in.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
2 Old Pirates,
Sorry, I didn't know a combination drain and anode existed! If you find a source, please post.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I hope there isn't a "tang" at both ends of the Water Heater. what a pain!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sorry, I didn't know a combination drain and anode existed! If you find a source, please post.
Find any Seaward water heater vendor. SureMarine in Seattle IIRC is one. Google it. Good luck.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Find any Seaward water heater vendor. SureMarine in Seattle IIRC is one. Google it. Good luck.

It's only if you have BAD local drinking water.