Replace Galley Faucet in Catalina 400

May 11, 2015
Catalina 400 MkII Toronto
Has anyone tried replacing their galley faucet in their Catalina 400? There is absolutely NO access to that faucet stem under the counter...as it is between the galley sinks and a bulkhead. Is there an easy way to remove those sinks so that I can get access? If I undo the piping beneath the sinks, can I push the sinks up off where they sit to get access to the under-counter faucet hardware?
Any help / thoughts on this would be MUCH appreciated ! :)
Thanks
Dan Heimann
"Solitude" - Catalina 400 MkII - Hull #185

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i am looking at the same thing right now, i hope to reach it from the side cabinet door, i took the frame out. i plan on using a "basin wrench"
i dont have my new faucet so i have not tried yet, once its out you cannot use the water system.
as far as the sink lifting out, i have #231 and my sink is under mounted. the whole counter top would have to come out (good luck with that) i noticed at the boat shows while they were still building the 400 that they changed to a top mounted sink, with a lip around the perimeter. not as neat of installation but would be nice to have now.

i heard of some people (not sure on this model) of installing a access hole behind the salon cushion. and putting in a plastic removable cap.

if you think this is fun, wait til you need to change your water heater, if you have a 20 gallon it is impossible. i am sure it was in before the counter tops. i got into a big disagreement with catalina about it, they assured me it can be removed but it is way bigger than the cabinet doors.

mike

May 11, 2015
Catalina 400 MkII Toronto
Thanks for sharing...

Hi Mike...glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this predicament. I swear, when they built the C400...they started with the galley sink and faucet...and then built the entire boat around that! :evil: My main issue was that I disconnected the Rinse Spray nozzle...and utilized that hole in the counter for a new SeaGull Fresh Water faucet / purification system. After disconnecting the hose for the spray nozzle, I plugged that steel pipe under the main faucet. In the winter, it must have retained water and burst. But now, again, there is no access to mend that pipe. I'm now trying Aqua-Mend, a 2-part epoxy paste on the pipe to see if that works.
If that doesn't work, then I'm going to have to try to get those darn sinks out...and hopefully without having to tear the whole counter up! Cheers!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You're very welcome. And to think, if she approves we KNOW we must be doing something right, right? :)

May 21, 2016
Catalina 400 Kilmarnock,Va
Has anyone tried replacing their galley faucet in their Catalina 400? There is absolutely NO access to that faucet stem under the counter...as it is between the galley sinks and a bulkhead. Is there an easy way to remove those sinks so that I can get access? If I undo the piping beneath the sinks, can I push the sinks up off where they sit to get access to the under-counter faucet hardware?
Any help / thoughts on this would be MUCH appreciated ! :)
Thanks
Dan Heimann
"Solitude" - Catalina 400 MkII - Hull #185
I know this is way too late to do you any good, but for those upcoming with this issue. Before you cut and drill I suggest that you spray in the area of the valve nut something like WD40. The nut itself is not a hex nut but a wing style which can be loosened with hand pressure. If this does not do it, try a rod of about 18" in length and a hammer. The rod can be placed on one of the wings, will extend on an angle out of the trash can area and can be tapped with a hammer. This worked for me. We replaced with the Ambassador, single lever as shown in most of the catalogs. The whole thing is not simple, but then neither is cutting the back of the seat. The 40 is somewhat different from the C36 in that area. I am not left handed which would have made the whole thing somewhat easier.