Replace fuel tank Catalina 27?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 27 Chicago
Hello, all - I have a 1973 Catalina 27 in dry storage in Saugatuk. Recently was on board checking things out and was a strong gas smell. Maintenance guys told me this morning that the gas tank is shot and leaking. Needs to be replaced. Since I have an onboard Atomic 4, it sounds like they are going to have to cut it out of the boat, which doesn't make me happy. I'm about to move it to Chicago to be closer to me. My questions: 1) any ideas how much this will cost me and 2) any recommendations on where I can get this work done in Chicago? Definitely putting a bummer on my summer...

Thank you!

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
Id get a hand pump and a fuel tank to pump out the gas quickly and safely, next the fuel tank is mounted on the Starboard side rear berth, the inspection hach I am not sure if you can slide it out or not I will look, but fuel tanks of all sizes can be found and I am sure its not a thing you could not do

Mar 11, 2016
Catalina 27 Seabrook, Texas
Today I finished pumping out about 13 gallons of gas with a hand pump. Lots of rust or corrosion can be seen inside the tank. The tank is too big to get out without cutting fiberglass. Somewhere I read about cutting the tank out in pieces, once there is no fire hazard. Any suggestions are appreciated

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I know this is a late reply but whatever. I replaced the diesel fuel tank on my 1980 C27. I pumped the fuel out that was in it with one of those circular hand pump you can get at tractor supply. I could get the tank out of the existing opening in the quarter birth. Replacement aluminum tank was about $450, for a 12 gallon tank.