Replace fixed salon portlights with ones that open.

Feb 21, 2016
Catalina 34 Worton Creek Marina
Hello. I purchased a 1985 33' Newport late last year. She's in great shape but I'd like to make some improvements. One is to replace one of the fixed portlights in the salon with a portlight that can be opened. I want to do this on both the starboard and port sides. Does anyone have any recommendations for a source of parts?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
you are unlikely to find what you are looking for in ready made form because it is not recommended that the large salon windows in a sailboat be openable....
over the years many boats have been sunk due to weak salon windows breaking out during a knock down to prove that a large open hole in the side of the cabin trunk is unsafe.... no manufacture wants to contribute to this by making large ones that open.
usually when owners want to replace the stock windows, they go the other direction that what you desire, as they will take out the stock windows and have thick plexiglass or lexan bolted in for strength and to insure water tightness for many years.

also, when making a window that has the ability to open, the larger the window is, the more prone it is to leak, and no reputable manufacture wants to produce something so expensive that they cant reasonably guarantee to be reasonably trouble free for the consumer....