Repairing step mast area

Jul 5, 2017
Oday 25 Hull, MA
Hello all. I'm from south shore of Boston and have been sailing a MacGregor Venture Newport for years and am looking to move to a 1984 O'Day 25. I had it surveyed and while the surveyor found several items that are probably typical of a boat built in 1984, one item he cited as an important concern is that there was water infiltration around the mast step area and that it looked like there was already a patch job there. He felt I could probably get by this season as long as I did not do any heavy seas sailing (which I don't intend to do), but that I should have it repaired by a professional fiberglass person for the next season. What this would entail, according to him and several fiberglass shops I have already consulted, is to cut out the entire area and rebuild it to ensure it is strong enough to support the mast. The surveyor estimated the cost to be between $800 and $1200. One shop said around $1500. Another shop- very highly regarded for their work- said around $4000. I have 2 more shops to check. All the shops are going by a picture I showed them and not the actual boat. I'm told this is a common problem with older boats. How have you all dealt with this and at what cost? Any comments, thoughts, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Really like the boat but concerned about buying it and then having to spend upwards of 4k to fix it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Fiberglass work is not all that difficult...the hardest part is matching the surrounding gelcoat.

Does the O'Day 25 have a keel-stepped mast or does it use a compression post?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
It has a compression post....

So you do what I did when I owned mine... You cut out the top layer of fiberglass, dig out all the rotted wood core, then you recore it and epoxy and glass the top layer you cut out back in. Sand accordingly to get the seams somewhat flat. Redrill your mast step holes. You use Maine Sail's butyl tape to keep the water out. You then inspect every other area that penetrates the deck because, well, you have wood core and it will rot. I sold my 25 because it was just too much to stay on top of the issues with all of the deck penetrations and wood core. Also, it was not the best sailing boat either. Fine if you want to just hangout but, actually sailing, not so much. Bulkheads will be next, that is not a fun job to do. I did that before I did the core on the deck. Oh yeah, then there was the centerboard issues.......

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Keep looking. Why get involved with a boat that requires major repairs at an unknown cost? That single repair must be approaching 30-50% of the asking price. Neglected boats rarely have 'just one thing wrong'. O'days are notorious for leaking and rotting. If this was not stayed on top of, most will be basket cases now.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Run. There are too many better boats available. Never get stuck on a particular boat.

Apr 15, 2016
O'day 23 Birmingham
I dealt with the same issue on a 23 by repairing myself. If you were to make the repair yourself it would probably cost you up to $200 assuming you have all the tools (angle grinder, sander, respirator, etc.). If you aren't willing to do the repair work yourself then this is not the boat for you. There is likely to be rotten core under the stanchions and tracks too...

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
"recommendations are greatly appreciated"

Some great advice above. I wouldn't try and tell you what to do, but boats are expensive as is. I try to do one big project every off season, but $4K strikes me as a lot to put into a 34 year old 25 foot O'Day off the bat. Maybe you can negotiate the fix as part of the purchase, maybe not. What I would suggest (if you haven't already) is to contact Richie Doyle at Custom Fiberglass in Weymouth and see what they have to say. They do very good work. Not cheap, but if you don't intend on doing it yourself, they'll do the job correctly. No affiliation, just a happy customer from work we had done there in 2012.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree with the others. If you need to pay others to do the repairs, put that money into the purchase price and use it to buy a better boat.
If you can repair yourself, it might be worth it.
You don't mention the price of the boat. I paid $3,875 for my 1980 O'day 25. I've done most of the repairs myself. If I had to pay someone to do the repairs I would not have been able to afford it.