Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Glad your back. Enjoy the break from ANA.
And keep them Boeing planes flying - I need my pension.

Really looking forward to the next projects, lots of motivation for my limited projects

Les

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
Monumental project and great work. Kudos. Excuse me if this has been covered. I was wondering if you had scoped out the chain plates. On the 34, they are 3 in mild steel angle iron buried in the liner. I've read that some of these have failed and the rig came down. I scope mine from time to time to see how rusty they are getting, which I need to do again soon.
I got a bird's eye view of the chainplate on the left side because the hull repair was in that spot. It was rusty but mostly surface rust. I hit it with some Ospho and paint just for good measure, but it looked like even without treatment it would outlast the boat. I used the borescope to check the starboard side, it looked ok too. I dont know what rig the 34 has but mine is a B&R and only has one midships chainplate buried in the liner and it is a brute!

May 8, 2013
Awesome recount Mark. Had me on the edge of my seat.

Edit: ...and Congratulations Captain.
Thanks! Now I have one to possibly deal with here! (Actually it looks to miss us by more than a country mile, so - score!)

May 8, 2013
Glad your back. Enjoy the break from ANA.
And keep them Boeing planes flying - I need my pension.

Really looking forward to the next projects, lots of motivation for my limited projects

Les
Thanks Les! Workin' on the to-do list but right now still dealing with jetlag.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
As a passenger who has survived an emergency landing and a slide to the runway I never, ever neglect to thank the flight officers for pulling off a successful landing!

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
The first time we flew to Poland was on Lot airlines from Chicago. When we landed in Warsaw everyone clapped. This made us nervous and we asked if they were celebrating the successful landing.

Turns out, Lot is the Polish national airline and Chicago is the second largest Polish city behind Warsaw with just over 1 million Poles or folks of Polish descent living there. Folks were just happy to be “home.” :)

May 8, 2013
Time for a rant:

Well, poop. Best laid plans just got shot to hell.

So, Florence is on the way, the governor declared a mandatory evac for the entire SC coast. I do not usually use internet slang (?) but - WTF and OMFG!! That's extreme sarcasm, by the way :yikes:

1. I started tracking this storm middle of last week. Even then the guidance was for a landfall around the northern part of SC up into NC. With only small variations that has held pretty firm. In the last few days it has tightened and there is absolutely no indication of a late turn or bend south. I feel for the folks in Wilmington, NC but here we are not anywhere close to Storm conditions. In fact the current forecast for Beaufort at the time of Florence landfall is - not kidding - clear skies, winds W to NW at 8 to 11. So mandatory evac for what, exactly?

2. This is a screen shot of a headline a few hours ago:

Seriously? Seriously?? Long ago I lost all faith in the Weather Channel (this screen grab is not from the WC but it's a good example of the utter garbage being reported). It's common knowledge that they jack their advertisement rates way up for named storms. They are in the "scare the crap out of everybody to make more money" business model. I refuse to turn them on. But - read on:

3. I am now questioning what the heck NOAA is up to. I have been looking at the raw data. Satellite, bouys, aircraft and surface observations and I am not seeing anything close to what is being put out by official sources. I will be the first to admit that NOAA has people (supposedly) way smarter than me about weather, but - they are reporting storm info that does not match their own data!

4. I spent most of the day today calming panicked relatives - yes, mom, we are staying. No mom, we're not gonna die. That goes for parents-in-law too. The balance of the day was spent calming neighbors. Disclaimer! - I am not encouraging anyone to stay - if they want to evac, go for it, but the level of sheer panic being generated by the media and govt. is astonishing! I'm flabergasted.

5. Now I will be the first to admit that during Matthew the local and regional PTBs here dropped the ball big-time, but now they are overcompensating and instilling fear as a replacement for information. In my opinion the citizenry deserves better.

Ok, rant off. It's 0200, I can't sleep (still massively upside-down) and I can't even tell if what I just wrote is coherent. All I know is I lost an entire day of boat project time for basically nothing, I'm assuming that all my impending deliveries will now be delayed due to the epic "once in a decade - nope, lifetime, nope, century, nope - millenia, nope - uh, we're all gonna die, Ahhhhhhhhhhh!" storm. Sigh.

I still have parts & pieces to keep making progress this week. Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Mark (impatiently awaiting TEOWAKI)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So at 0500 today the storm is about south of Bermuda, still way off, BUT is going through an eye wall replacement and wobbling and slowing a bit. It is utterly impossible to say exactly where it will hit BUT with the slowing a mid-west High has had a chance to move east and south where it is affecting the course models to push the storm more west. If this continues the storm will vector more your way. Unless you take the hit I do think the worst conditions will be on the NE quadrant of the storm where biblical flooding will occur as the High stuffs the storm and it sits.

May 8, 2013
The 0800 satellite showed, while not an eyewall collapse, a pretty substantial degradation that even an overnight weakening would not happen if the storm was in fact at the intensity level they say. The surface winds are not anywhere close to Cat 3 or 4 and the mid level winds are not there either. That means the dropsonde data is being computer modeled -all the way to the surface - no surprise there, happens with every offshore storm that doesn't pass close enough to a buoy for direct readings. The 10,000 and 18,000 ft. winds don't show a projected increase in intensity until tomorrow and even then not to the levels being reported now. And mid level winds are not supposed to be used for category strengths.

Whats' really interesting is what is and is not steering the system. There is nothing low or mid level steering things. There is however a really cool looking Anti-cyclonic upper level wind pattern - 150 mb (39,000 ft) with the strongest area over the Florida peninsula. That is what's driving the storm NW and preventing a move westerly. The 150mb winds at the storm center also are not supporting what a Cat 3 or 4 level storm should have.

We still have not had a hurricane watch issued here, closest is Charleston, and we are within the window that it should have been issued by now. Another odd thing is - look up the Wilmington, NC forecast for Thursday evening/Friday morning - highest winds predicted are Cat 1. Of course that could change but you would think they would be estimating closer to the doom & gloom predictions. Things just are not adding up. Disclaimer: all this subject to change!

I'm off to turn some lumber into sawdust.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited: