Registered users don't see ads

Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by B757Captain, Nov 30, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. B757Captain

B757Captain

Joined May 8, 2013
    196 posts, 93 likes
    Hunter 40
    US Dataw Island, SC
    Already done - I thin West Systems about 25% with acetone and brush the edges with a few coats. The acetone helps the epoxy get deeper penetration into the wood. The silicone for sealing was to keep moisture from migrating between the joints while keeping the ability to remove pieces of the structure if necessary.

Other parts, like the floorboards, get overall thinned then unthinned coats of epoxy for water protection like you said.

2. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,847 posts, 1,014 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    Especially if @Boat Babe shows up!

Kh3412 likes this.
  3. Crothers99

Crothers99

Joined Jan 17, 2010
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter Legend 40
    US Annapolis MD Edgewater
    I really enjoy your post. I have a 1988 Hunter Legend 40 and have been doing a lot of work and your blog has been a big help. I have the mast down now to work replace the wiring and cables and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to caulk the chain plates.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,746 posts, 852 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA

5. B757Captain

B757Captain

Joined May 8, 2013
    196 posts, 93 likes
    Hunter 40
    US Dataw Island, SC
    Does your '88 have square chainplates with 4 large screws securing them to the boss on the deck? And the SS poles transferring the chainplate loads down to the grid? I looked for a pic of mine and surprisingly it seems that's one area I haven't photographed.

If so, I'm pretty sure the upper square chainplate is not meant to move in relation to the deck (B&R rig) and is solidly bolted to the deck boss - mine were. In this case I don't think there's supposed to be movement or any gap between the chainplate and deck boss.

When I had my mast down I loosened the screws holding the chainplate. Some of the screws (pretty big, 3/8th diam threads if I remember) came out easily but I think a few were stubborn. When the deck relaxed relative to the chainplate I was able to clean underneath the edges through the gap. After cleaning everything I squirted LifeSeal under all around, cleaned the screws and resealed them and tightened everything back up.

If yours is different then pictures would help. I'll dig through my archives to see if I can find any.

Cheers,

Mark

6. viper

viper

Joined Jul 31, 2016
    122 posts, 12 likes
    Hunter 380
    US 1205 SW 54th Lane , Cape Coral, FL, 33914 Cape Coral, Fl
    So Impressive. Initially I thought you were a bit crazy to take on this task. This is one of those times I don't mind being so very wrong...
    Regards,
    Viper

7. Hayden Watson

Hayden Watson

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    386 posts, 57 likes
    Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs
    US Oak Harbor, WA
    Looking Good Mark.
    One thing I cannot remember you talking about is the electrical system. What is your plan for the wiring? Does it all need to be replaced or is it salvageable. I assume that all of your electronics are toast.

8. B757Captain

B757Captain

Joined May 8, 2013
    196 posts, 93 likes
    Hunter 40
    US Dataw Island, SC
    I'm not entirely sure you ARE wrong! Haha. Actually I have had fun doing the repairs (mostly), learned tons along the way and it has kept me out of the bar! That's a good thing.

I have come up with a relatively close analogy to what I'm doing - Imagine you went out and bought a '67 GTO. It's in pretty good shape (you think) and you go out and have fun with it for a few years, fixing it up a little here and there as time goes by. Then one day it gets creamed in an accident. On a cost basis it's totaled but it means a lot to you and can't be easily replaced. You decide to repair it and as you dig in you find some things under the skin that just aren't up to speed and really should be fixed right. Before you start repairs you figure out it really needs a frame-off restoration. While you're at it might as well throw in an LS9, 6-speed, etc. Is it worth it? In strict monetary terms, not a chance. But money can't be the only deciding factor in some cases, so you decide to go for it. That's where I'm at and in the end my (GTO) will be better than it ever could have been.

Cheers,

Mark

pateco likes this.
  9. B757Captain

B757Captain

Joined May 8, 2013
    196 posts, 93 likes
    Hunter 40
    US Dataw Island, SC
    Most of the electrical system was ruined by salt water. I tried to salvage the AC and DC panels but in the end only the frames were reusable. New panels are cheaper than total component replacement of old panels. Batteries were shorted out. Most electrical appliances lost from corrosion. Most of the wiring and cables were ok, but I'm not taking any chances with that for several reasons.

From the bottom up: Batteries - I had just installed 4 new Firefly house batteries and will go back with the same. Electrical panels: I'm going with a distributed panel system this time. Instead of one big AC panel and one big DC panel (I'm not a big fan of combining them), I will have a main AC and main DC distribution panel at the input source (batteries, shore power receptacles, inverter) and I'll run only feed wires from there to points in the boat such as the galley, aft cabin, forward cabin, topside, etc., to breaker panels where the individual feeds will branch. This will reduce the overall wire usage and hopefully make tracing down any future electrical problems easier. I'm replacing all the wiring. I could maybe reuse some of the old wires but why take the chance? Since all the old wiring was already cut to size and I'm changing the layout, I'd first have to cut down the wire to hopefully get past any corrosion, then try to mix and fit what's left. It's easier to start fresh, not that expensive (relatively), and I would never be totally comfortable with the old wiring anyway. All the rest, lights, appliances, etc., are going to be new. It was time for a refresh anyway!:)

Electronics - Hmmmm. The chart plotter never went under water. But - it's old, won't take the new style chips and I really want the new MFD style system. I'm also looking at the I-Pad based systems. Autopilot - it was an older, but still good wheel pilot. I haven't tested it yet. If it's still good I might keep it as a backup to a new system. Sailing instruments - toast, but they had been troublesome prior to Matthew. Still working on what exactly to get there. Radar - dead before Matthew, new one in the works. It was the original from the PO and ancient. VHF - original, was good but not anymore (!) so new one there too. I already replaced the VHF antenna when the mast was down.

Down below: Air Conditioning - ruined. Interestingly, the manufacturer (Flagship Marine) said send it to them, if they can't fix it they will give me credit on a new one - every little bit helps! Fridge and freezer - costs more to have them checked than to replace with new. Plus I'm redesigning the galley and they were going to get replaced anyway. Stove - ruined. Flat screen TV - ruined, but I was going to replace it with an LED unit anyway. Draws half the power of an LCD. Stereo - ruined. No big loss, it was a cheapy, but I hated losing my Bose speakers. That hurt! Battery charger - brand new Sterling - ruined. Voltage regulator - brand new Balmar, but I will send it in to be checked. It's sealed so should be ok. Inverter - when I found out my hurriedly ordered generator for the house was not going to be delivered before the hurricane I pulled the inverter off the boat, thinking I could hook it up to the car battery with the car running and use it for smaller load AC for the house. Worked like a charm so out of everything, I get to reuse the inverter! Score!

I'm sure I missed a few things but that's the plan for now.

Cheers,

Mark

10. B757Captain

B757Captain

Joined May 8, 2013
    196 posts, 93 likes
    Hunter 40
    US Dataw Island, SC
    I just re-read through this and must have had too many rum & cokes! Revision coming, I'm needed at the bar! :yeah:

11. Crothers99

Crothers99

Joined Jan 17, 2010
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter Legend 40
    US Annapolis MD Edgewater
    Spot on with your description and I will try to replicate you solution to getting them caulked. Thanks

Regards

Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990
Hunter strainers and filters
For engines, gensets, AC, and more.
Hunter prop struts and shafts
Everything you need for your power train
Hunter striping decals
Striping in factory colors for most models.