Repairing a Push Pull System

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arby

I bought a 1979 Catalina 27 this year and have been enjoying the added comfort and accomodations as compared to my previous Catalina 22. The boat is equiped with an Atomic 4 inboard and has wheel steering. Two weeks ago the steering failed while I was sailing in Lake St. Clair. I disengaged the steering cable and sailed in with the emergency tiller. There is only one cable/conduit coming from the wheel pedestal to the rudder so I believe it is a push/pull system. I located a stamping on the steering components that identified "Don Allen Inc" as the manufacturer. The only apparent damage to the steering system is that the conduit split. The wire cable (what I see from the conduit split) itself looks in decent shape.

I could not find any internet references to Don Allen Inc. I have been communicating with Edson Marine and they told me that Don Allen went out of business in the 1980s. I asked Edson if they had components compatible with what I have. They said I would have to replace everything but the wheel and then they quoted me $2000+ for their equipment. Thanks but no thanks! I've removed the pedestal and have ordered an H and L 45 inch tiller to replace the 20 inch emergency tiller. I'm also applying a temporary cover to the cockpit deck to cover the pedestal hole.

Popular opinion seems to be that tiller is better than wheel for the Cat 27. However I want to explore my options as to fixing the Don Allen system. If anyone can provided advice for removing the chain and conduit from the pedestal and replacement of the broken conduit, I would be grateful.

Arby

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Try D&R

D&R Marine in RI claims to be the only authorized overstock / discontinued Edson outlet there is. I got a quote for everything from them and you can definitely save some money. I'd talk to Rudy...chances are he's been down this road before. I bet you can work out something somehow. He used to work for O'Day and is the primary source for NOS O'day parts, from what I know.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Fix / fabricate?

Contact tech services at a company like this and see if they can help or at least point you in the direction of someone who can. They do marine work, but I didn't see any sheathed cables. However, it might be possible to replace your conduit if the cable is good. It can't hurt to ask.

My only other thought is that you might be surprised at how much money you get if you part out what you have and ebay it. Sounds like parts are RARE.

Good luck,

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Arby

Try this link for Catalina parts, and BTW that cable sure looks like a standard Teleflex steering cable
Don't know why Bob would give you Rudys link maybe he thought you were talking about an ODay

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Could be

Rad could be right. That looks like a standard Teleflex steering cable to me too.
Check out almost any website that has boat stuff, and they will more than likely have a Teleflex cable.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Rudy

I can read RAD. Read the first line of my response.

If Arby ends up going for total replacement, Rudy is the one place I know of where he can get Edson parts at a discount.

I recently got a quote from him for an entire system when I was thinking about adding wheel steering to a boat I was looking at. He was about $500 lower than Edson, but it was still pricey and labor intensive. For example right now he has a discontinued black Edson pedestal for about half Edson's cost for their current model (look at the product page under Edson and under clearance). Rudy has also been around and is very knowledgeable about discontinued stuff and what is and is not available in general.

Nice n' Easy makes a good point about Teleflex. I'd definitely contact their technical dept as this is their area of expertise. I forgot about them when I sent the other link. Most of the cables available online don't seem as heavy duty as yours, but they likely make most of the cables on most of the boats out there.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Sorry Bob

I can't read or I don't pay attention but my first thought was Rudy's been down this road before and if he contacts Catalina I'm sure they have been down the same road

H

Hermit Scott

cable

What is the diameter and length of that push pull cable. I know some one who fabricates them to specs. I bought a 4' long push pull with special ends for $100. But it was only a 1/4" cable.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Apologies right back at you RAD

We are both just trying to help. Teleflex and Catalina are the best ideas in the post. I was pretty tired last night and hope I wasn't offensive.

Feb 25, 2007
- - Sandusky, Ohio
Catalina Yachts

Contact Catalina Yachts parts department. Catalina Direct,while a source for a lot of stuff, is NOT the same thing. They are 2 separate companies.

Jun 16, 2005
- - long beach, CA
FWIW,

I'd just go with a nice laminated tiller; much more responsive, much more cockpit room, much cheaper/simpler autopilot installation (if you don't have one already)less prone to failure. a win/win. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.