reopen closed threads!!! PLEASE!!

Aug 26, 2014
Seidelmann 295 Barnegat Bay
I realize there are limitations and required management of a forum like this but... there is ADDITIONAL valuable refit and performance (plus contact) info out there that can be gleaned by restarting a conversation. this is an old boat forum so old info is valuable...

what say ye?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The answer is to find the old closed topic, then copy & paste the link (URL) into a new topic so the skippers can read the old one. Easy, doesn't require the moderators to do anything (they're great guys and busy already!:)).

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I realize there are limitations and required management of a forum like this but... there is ADDITIONAL valuable refit and performance (plus contact) info out there that can be gleaned by restarting a conversation. this is an old boat forum so old info is valuable...

what say ye?
the threads may be locked but they are still readable.... and YES, there is a LOT of valuable information stored away within this site

my opinion is... there really is no need to reopen something that has been closed for quite sometime. the search function works quite well for finding what you are searching for if you type in the right keywords.

and its it so easy to ask another question... someone, and very likely, MANY will either answer you or point you to the link that carries the information you seek....

new sailors, new ideas, new methods and newly developed equipment are always finding an audience on this site, so its good to have new opinions with a shorter thread sometimes rather than a looonng one that is filled with months or years old posts on it... and has long since went dead, so it was locked.

to make my point clearer... there is a current post going that is still very active so it remains open. it has well over 20 thousand of "views", and nearly 600 posts.... so if you would take the time to read thru all of that, then come back and see if your opinion changes about reopening a long dead/locked posts:D....

as I said, this is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2014
Seidelmann 295 Barnegat Bay
Stu, I hear you and thanks all for the opinions.

searching appropriately is always first responsibility of the seeker.

However - reopening a closed thread allows for the system to go and actively find someone with useful knowledge who is subscribed, not them having to check the forum for a new post.

Guys - the idea is surely to connect old and new users and sailors to promote sailing. I use many, many forums for a multitude of hobbies and closed threads are just not a good idea. IMHO.

Set the people free!!! :)

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
That's what a private message is for! and much more likely to get their attention than a 2 day window where an old thread appears in a list of threads with new posts