Registered users don't see ads

Renting a sailboat in the Bahamas

Discussion in 'Ask A Beneteau Owner' started by Bluenose, Feb 13, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Bluenose

Bluenose

Joined Jan 10, 2018
    93 posts, 16 likes
    C&C & Beneteau 331
    Ca Halifax
    Next year I'll be retired and I would like to rent a sailboat for a month in the Bahamas. I'd like to put my toe in the cruising scene to see if I can handle it! Nothing fancy, something 33-35 feet, an older boat would be fine. Not looking for a Moorings type of deal, but someone with a sailboat they would like to rent to a responsible sailor and who would treat it as their own.

Don't want the hassle of taking my Oceanis 331 there from Nova Scotia.

Any thoughts??

2. Cowpokee

Cowpokee

Joined Jan 8, 2015
    306 posts, 166 likes
    MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30
    US Kerr Reservoir
    [QUOTE
    Don't want the hassle of taking my Oceanis 331 there from Nova Scotia.

Any thoughts??[/QUOTE]

A thought, not necessarily a recommendation, look into hiring someone to take your beneteau to the Bahamas for you. Might be cheaper than chartering for a month. Plus you would be on your own boat.

3. Captain Larry-DH

Captain Larry-DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    650 posts, 350 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home
    Or look into the cost of shipping to Miami area then take it across. You can save money if you sail it to Boston or Port Newark (NJ) and find a trucker who would take it on a back-haul basis. (Some trucks will be running empty on a return trip unless they can pick up a back-haul load, so they might give a reduced rate to cover their expenses.) Truckers also offer a discount if your load isn't on a schedule.

4. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    20,390 posts, 861 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Bluenose,

I doubt there are many respondents here who have a boat of that size that would be available for anyone that is not already in the charter fleet. You could start there and find out boats & rates to start off with. Expand your search via other internet methods, too.
    Good luck, I understand the "moving your boat" to where you wanna be for a while. And, of course, there's gettin' her back home! :)
    I know, we sailed our boat from SF to BC in 2016. Turns out to have been a one way trip though, for me. ;) A wonderful experience, once in a lifetime, and great cruising here.
    After all our snow, Mexico would be nice. :yikes:

5. leo310

leo310

Joined Dec 15, 2006
    133 posts, 47 likes
    Catalina Catlina 310
    CA Campbell River BC
    Ok you stated your retiring next year, so why not sail your boat down? It would be an eye opener as you'll find out real quick that you'll like it or not. Take a look at some youtube on ICW as you may make it a snowbird run but start in July.

6. leo310

leo310

Joined Dec 15, 2006
    133 posts, 47 likes
    Catalina Catlina 310
    CA Campbell River BC
    What snow Stu all we got was white rain that sticks around.

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.