Renting a sailboat in the Bahamas

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Next year I'll be retired and I would like to rent a sailboat for a month in the Bahamas. I'd like to put my toe in the cruising scene to see if I can handle it! Nothing fancy, something 33-35 feet, an older boat would be fine. Not looking for a Moorings type of deal, but someone with a sailboat they would like to rent to a responsible sailor and who would treat it as their own.

Don't want the hassle of taking my Oceanis 331 there from Nova Scotia.

Any thoughts??

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
[QUOTE
Don't want the hassle of taking my Oceanis 331 there from Nova Scotia.

Any thoughts??[/QUOTE]

A thought, not necessarily a recommendation, look into hiring someone to take your beneteau to the Bahamas for you. Might be cheaper than chartering for a month. Plus you would be on your own boat.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Or look into the cost of shipping to Miami area then take it across. You can save money if you sail it to Boston or Port Newark (NJ) and find a trucker who would take it on a back-haul basis. (Some trucks will be running empty on a return trip unless they can pick up a back-haul load, so they might give a reduced rate to cover their expenses.) Truckers also offer a discount if your load isn't on a schedule.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bluenose,

I doubt there are many respondents here who have a boat of that size that would be available for anyone that is not already in the charter fleet. You could start there and find out boats & rates to start off with. Expand your search via other internet methods, too.
Good luck, I understand the "moving your boat" to where you wanna be for a while. And, of course, there's gettin' her back home! :)
I know, we sailed our boat from SF to BC in 2016. Turns out to have been a one way trip though, for me. ;) A wonderful experience, once in a lifetime, and great cruising here.
After all our snow, Mexico would be nice. :yikes:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Ok you stated your retiring next year, so why not sail your boat down? It would be an eye opener as you'll find out real quick that you'll like it or not. Take a look at some youtube on ICW as you may make it a snowbird run but start in July.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
What snow Stu all we got was white rain that sticks around.