Removing the Top of the Mast

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Dear Fellow Sailors:

Has anyone removed the top of a mast for repair work? If so, was it difficult, how was it done etc.? Your wisdom appreciated.

Best,
Mark

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes. How easy depends on how the mast head is attached. If the mast head is welded on, that will be an issue.

At least on the masts I have worked on the mast head fits inside the mast with a single through bolt keeping it in place. The forces on the mast head are all down ward, so gravity is working for you.

It will be a lot easier if the mast is horizontal on some saw horses.

A photo would be helpful, if you want more specific advice.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think on the H25 the mast head is held in with rivets. If so you will need to drill out the center of the rivet and tap it through the hole.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes...
Different boats means different solutions. Always easier in the yard on saw houses rather than 35...45...80 feet in the air trying to remove the fittings holding the mast in place.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
[QUOTE="Always easier in the yard on saw houses rather than 35...45...80 feet in the air trying to remove the fittings holding the mast in place.[/QUOTE]
...while hanging on a halyard running THROUGH the masthead you are removing... that would be a trick!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my C30 it was held on my the one bolt as Dave said. A rubber mallet and a wooden block with small sledge got mine off relatively easy. l was very gentle with many small taps rather than bashing it out.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
On my S2 there is one long bolt. Remove the bolt, tap the cap with a rubber mallet and it comes right off.