removing stansions

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
due to the height of a capri 18 with the bow pulpit and lifelines installed im thinking that if i remove the pulpit and stansions that the boat and trailer will fit in my garage (8 foot door). is all the hardware through bolted with nuts and washers on the inside and are they accessible? i had hoped someone would respond to my requests for measurements but they have not. i would hate to remove the pulpit and lifelines but i will if it fits. thanks for any advice.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Hello Steve,

I'd advise against removing the stanchions and pulpit for the purpose you describe (i.e., a somewhat regular occurrence). Yes, they will be through-bolted. However, you would need to reseal each bolt, each time they were reinstalled. If not sealed correctly, these holes become sources of leaks that can range from simple annoyance to those that cause damage to the wood deck core, bulkheads, etc. Thus, they are more of an on or off proposition.

Also, I imagine that you would only gain an inch or two since the top of the cabin is not much shorter than the stanchions.

Apr 6, 2014
Hello Steve,

I'd advise against removing the stanchions and pulpit for the purpose you describe (i.e., a somewhat regular occurrence). Yes, they will be through-bolted. However, you would need to reseal each bolt, each time they were reinstalled. If not sealed correctly, these holes become sources of leaks that can range from simple annoyance to those that cause damage to the wood deck core, bulkheads, etc. Thus, they are more of an on or off proposition.

Also, I imagine that you would only gain an inch or two since the top of the cabin is not much shorter than the stanchions.
dave, i guess i didnt make myself clear.i would remove the stanchions and pulpit permanently in order to get the boat in and out of my garage. i would put stainless cap screws and nuts in every hole. might not be the prettiest thing but it might get in in the garage. i think the pulpit might be the only thing i need to remove anyway.

worane

Apr 20, 2014
Catalina swing keel 25 geelong
Removing stanchions

Just looking at this in another way. Have you got a tape measure , it would give you a close idea.
I would look at buying some smaller wheels perhaps just to get it in and replace with road wheels when you go sailing. Bit of fooling about but it may solve the problem. you could use a solid small wheel ( no tyres)

Apr 6, 2014
i solved my problem, got out a saw and made the garage door openings taller (when i built the garage i didnt figure on the concrete for the floor but i did have 8 foot doors), long story short the boat fit with no alterations by about 1 and a half inches. thanks for the input fellas