Removing Standing Rigging from the Mast

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
So the current cover I have for my C310 is a mast-down cover (hopefully this is the last year I'll be using that cover, right Jesse? ;-) ). Last year we were selling property, buying property, and moving so I didn't have time to get the mast down and I just paid for shrink-wrap, but this year (after one aborted attempt due to high winds) I have the mast down again. The past few years I've just left everything on the mast over the winter, but this year I am thinking I will take all the standing rigging off the mast and store it at home. It will keep things tidier in the yard by the boat without the wire and spreaders all hanging on the ground (and eventually, in the snow). As I haven't disconnected the standing rigging before, I figured I'd post my intentions here and let the community's lessons learned flow forth. :)

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Unless there is some other reason for removing the rigging such as a more thorough inspection, it's unnecessary to take it off. A little ice won't damage anything. Just neatly wrap and tie it off on the mast as most yards do up north.