Removing shaft coupler

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
In preparation for installing a PSS dripless packing and replacing the cutless bearing while I am at it, I purchased a split coupling, this will allow me to split/cut the shaft coupling and replace it with a new coupling so I won't have to deal with the difficulties reinstalling or separating the coupling in the future.
Same here. Except I went with a LasDrop GenII shaft seal. So far so good.
lasdrop.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
They can be hard to get off, for sure.

I expect mine was on for almost 30 years, but have no idea if the PO had done any maintenance on the shaft/coupling.

I had a nice cutlass bearing puller,tool made, and used the parts from it to press the coupling off the shaft. In my case, I was trying to save the shaft, so didn’t want to cut it. In the end, I ended up replacing the shaf5 anyway because it had cracks in it.

Here is how I did it....

Good luck,

Greg

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The set screws came off easily and PB Blaster flows into the set screw holes easily, so that is a good sign. Assuming the coupler parts from the shaft easily and assuming the shaft doesn't need replacing, what should I do to the inside of the coupler/outside of the shaft before reassembly?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
The way these couplers bond to the shafts means we do not have to worry too much about them slipping out while motoring about. Still I always mount my zincs just ahead of the strut as a secondary shaft retainer. Peace of mind at any price.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
where does he discuss putting back an existing shaft into an existing coupler?
He says it’s best to replace tat old coupler as the rust/corrosion will probably result in a too loose fit if the coupler is reused

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Here's what can happen when you just go ahead and reuse one. The previous owner of our Seaward 25 replaced the PSS seal on the boat and reused the coupling. This is what the shaft and coupling looked like when it failed on me. Had to replace shaft, coupling, and why not...did the PSS all over again with the newer vented version, and replaced the cutlass bearing while I was at it.

20150811_184026.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
And you'll probably find out that when they put the shaft in a lathe, it has some bend in it that might need straightening or replacement.