Removing rust at the turnbuckle connection?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
OK as usual I am looking for advice. I did an inspection of my standing rigging this past week and found a bit of rust where the cable connects to the turnbuckle at the chainplate. I want to clean that rust off and put wax in there to keep the saltwater out of it. My question is how do I clean that rust off? I really do not want to use rust remover for fear that it may hurt the stainless if I do not get it out of there and I cannot get in there with metal polish. Any suggestions? Has anyone else done this?

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
put wax in there to keep the saltwater out of it.
Which will also stop air from getting in there. Not recommended.

Sorry, but except for replacement, I don't see a quick fix. How old is the swage?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008

Sorry, but except for replacement, I don't see a quick fix. How old is the swage?
Interesting.... had not thought of that. Rig is 12 years old.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008

Don't they seal this connection at the factory?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
:plus::plus:

Other than looking a little aged, why remove the oxidized protection?
There has been a recent SBO discussion on how to make it look prettier.;)
Jim...

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda

Rigger suggested to seal these like they did at the factory. It keeps the water out.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Oxygen depravity (?) is not a concern IF there is no electrolyte available.. sooo if ya gonna seal it, make sure there is no salt in the wax; heat the connection and let previously melted wax wick in there... some folks use lanolin.. butter it onto the wire above the swedge and let gravity and capillary action do the work.. Best to not remove the oxidation, as was previously said.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Oxygen depravity
Oxygen gets a little "depraved" when you when you "Dehydrate" water.:laugh:
_______
All seriousness aside...
To make an Electrolyte, you need water and Salt combined.
Whoops... :rolleyes:
Sailing!

Jim....

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Sorry in NY and the cold is killing my brain but I use the product in a can that you can brush on
let sit a few minutes and than wash off with hose.
Been using it for many years for all hard to get places and needs warm weather to work and is so easy and great product,wet the stainless first brush on thick liquid let dry and hose off.
Maybe some one can help maybe spotless or something like that and have can back on dock box.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My brain kicked in and pretty sure Spotless Stainless and got it from internet mbany years ago
or maybe boat Show.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Some thoughts in no particular order;
- That swage has a crease in it; this is common on the first pass. A second pass at 90 degrees would have removed or greatly reduced the appearance of that crease. Clear evidence to me that it was only swaged once, gives me pause.
- The rig is 12 years old, most professional riggers will recommend 10 years and then replace. Its not uncommon for rigs to go 15 to 20 years in good weather conditions and with good maintenance; they recommend 10 to avoid liability and make more money. With that said, if I had the money I would replace just to be sure and its gotta help with insurance premiums.
- The staining does not 'look' bad, I've seen worse... but then again I've seen what 'looks' like something that was ok and then cut open the swage vertically and find a mess of hidden corrosion inside. Looks can be deceiving.
- Any cleaner that has phosphoric acid in it will remove that staining. I used a decaler/degreaser for cleaning stainless before I weld it to ensure super clean metal in the TIG process. Its liquid, so it would only work if you can loosen the turnbuckle and disconnect the stay, then dip it in a bucket overnight. My small 1/8 wire rigging on my 22 ft boat is cleaned by soaking it in a bucket (coiled up) and then fresh water rinsed. A gel would be ideal if you don't want to disconnect it.
- If you went with new rigging, I've seen Riggers dip the wire into 3M 5200 before inserting into the fitting, then swaging (twice) and wipe off the squeeze out. This is to prevent moisture from going down into the fitting.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is what my new rigging swages looked like just after they were installed. No problem.