Removing life line stanchions Hunter 31

Mar 31, 2017
Hunter 31 31 Lake George ny
I would like to remove all the life line stanchions from my H31 so I can tarp the boat for winter. Some of the pulled right up after I removed the screw but others are stubborn, any words of advice? Am I missing something?
I would like to work the port holes and do some deck work over the winter. Last winter the stanchions ripped the tarp.
Thanks John T

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
How are those stanchions bedded? 5200?
A PO may have done it that way on a refit.
If so, that stuff is like welding things, not sealing.
Could be your problem.

Mar 31, 2017
Hunter 31 31 Lake George ny
They should just pull up after you remove the screw, that's what it looks like to me. I don't see any 5200. Thanks

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Some do stick- especially those near the spot where people get on board! I have had to use a vice grip right at the base and twist and raise.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Some of mine have a nut welded into the base and then a bolt & washer run up from inside the cabin. They were a little difficult to tell apart from the deck joint bolts, they are not the same size and are farther outboard and were that much more of a hassle to get to.
2015-12-13 13.51.35.jpg Don't know if the photo helps at all (it's all I have) , it's the starboard stern quarter from underneath. From the left the first bolt is the toe rail, the second shorter one is the first stern pushpit rail bolt, the double ones are for the backstay and the last two are for the toe rails. (Picture was taken in the process of tightening the toe rail, etc. to get rid of leaks)

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
If you have the lines off i would put a screwdriver in the eye at the top and try twisting it back and forth.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Twisting the pole at the top could break the weld at the base.
Just sayin'.