Registered users don't see ads

Removing cabin ceiling Pearson 28-2

Discussion in 'Pearson' started by JimLor, Jun 4, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. JimLor

JimLor

Joined Nov 21, 2011
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson Pearson 28-2
    US Deale, MD
    I have varnished my cabin top handrails several times with mixed results. I'd love to take them off the boat to do a better jobut cannot see how to remove the interior ceiling to get at the fasteners. Anyone done this before?
    Thanks.
    Jim

2. lshingledecker

lshingledecker

Joined May 20, 2015
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson 28-2
    US Annapolis
    I can't be sure, but I'm going to guess that the interior handrails and exterior are screwed through (with wood screws). In that case, they would be removable by removing the bungs in both and unscrewing. I'll take a closer look today. But anyone who has a better idea should chime in. You might post this on the FB 28-2 group as well.

Luke

3. JimLor

JimLor

Joined Nov 21, 2011
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson Pearson 28-2
    US Deale, MD
    Thanks. I can't see any bungs that align where the screws should be. Worse comes to worse I may make some.

4. JimLor

JimLor

Joined Nov 21, 2011
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson Pearson 28-2
    US Deale, MD
    Luke, I'm also making two "catbird" seats for the boat. Will post process and final results. Easier than I originally thought.

5. JimLor

JimLor

Joined Nov 21, 2011
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson Pearson 28-2
    US Deale, MD
    Relearned, or remembered something once again. Went on our shakedown yesterday and saw how the inside and topside handrails are exactly opposite. Then I remembered, the handrails have plugs an top above where the handrail contacts the deck/ceiling. Drill them out and there's the screw!

6. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,215 posts, 1,660 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    @JimLor generally you do not need to drill the bungs out. Use a sheet rock screw. Drive it into the bung. The screw will contact the sunken screw forcing the bung up and out most of the time not damaging the hand rail. The bung will sometimes break apart. Then just back the sunken screws out and lift the hand rails off.

7. JimLor

JimLor

Joined Nov 21, 2011
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson Pearson 28-2
    US Deale, MD
    Thanks! Great tip and that’s how I’ll do it.

8. NYSail

NYSail

Joined Jan 6, 2006
    1,695 posts, 72 likes
    Beneteau 423
    US Mt. Sinai, NY
    Make sure you label the screws...... they were cut in place and specific to each exact hole. Makes life easy.....
    Yes experience!

Greg

9. JimLor

JimLor

Joined Nov 21, 2011
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson Pearson 28-2
    US Deale, MD
    Thanks Greg, I'll do that. It'll be nice to be able to do a good job finishing them off the boat.

jssailem likes this.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!