Removing a Through Hull Transducer

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Plumbers putty is a good temporary solution. Problem is “It drys out” once out of the sealed plastic container.
Once you have found a good location you need to look at using materials that are more permanent.
My two cents is leave it alone. Who cares if it drys out its under the V Berth locker in an almost inaccessible area for storage in a boat with no bilge. If it drys out and still works; great that just means it's easier to clean up when the transducer fails. I have had plumbers putty on my transducer for 2 years now with no issues and others have had it much longer. If you epoxy it in place you will be grinding or cutting it loose when it fails. Its only a 22 foot boat and it only needs 2 feet of water anyway so the depth is more of a luxury.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
My two cents is leave it alone. Who cares if it drys out its under the V Berth locker in an almost inaccessible area for storage in a boat with no bilge. If it drys out and still works; great that just means it's easier to clean up when the transducer fails. I have had plumbers putty on my transducer for 2 years now with no issues and others have had it much longer. If you epoxy it in place you will be grinding or cutting it loose when it fails. Its only a 22 foot boat and it only needs 2 feet of water anyway so the depth is more of a luxury.

Indeed ... that is the plan ... epoxy in hand and waiting for a problem ... :}

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Epoxy is over kill for this project. If the plumber's putty dries out, try duct seal compound. This is the stuff electricians seal the holes where power lines enter the house. Or try cheap caulking. The important quality is that there are no air pockets or bubbles in the compound.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I’ve had plumbers putty holding mine down for 5 years. I’ve installed several on others boats, and it’s all I use..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Guys. It works. It is a good tool. But it does dry out. And when it does the boat owner often blames the transducer not the failed plastic putty. Another good, cheap but sometimes messy is a toilet bowl wax ring.

A good air free epoxy pour is the permanent solution.