Remove tape residue

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I have some duct tape residue on the cabin top that is resisting the scrub brush pretty well. What is best solvent to use to soften it up? Gonna pressure wash soon, looking for next step if that doesn't work.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Goo Gone or WD40. Acetone would be my last resort since it is quite aggressive. Heating gently with a hair drier would also help.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Xylene takes off tape residue.

dj

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Try gorilla tape on the residue itself and pull back on slight angle.
I was able to remove almost all the residue provided it's still fairly fresh. The tape glue works against itself.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Yes it does. But was it you that shared it also will turn your fingernails green and curl your toes?
You should use appropriate PPE when using... But that goes for all chemicals. And no, I don't think I made that specific comment about xylene.

On fiberglass, I'd take the xylene and put it on a cloth then wipe off the tape residue. Probably wouldn't pour it on the boat.

dlj

(I have to remember to use the l as there is another person now on this forum that uses my original dj)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Smooth. I know you think I am kidding. Peanut Oil will break down just about any adhesive. There are some that are stubborn, but for the most part, PB will remove stickers from anything.
That's really interesting. I'm trying it this weekend. I have tape residue I'm taking off my boat Saturday.

dj

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
That's really interesting. I'm trying it this weekend. I have tape residue I'm taking off my boat Saturday.

dj
Just a fair warning, PB does not work of "everything" but I found it to remove lots of sticky stuff. Since you have duc tape, try to get as much off as possible. Then put the PB on liberally. I could cover it so it does not dry out. Let it sit for about an hour so the PB oil soaks in. I have used it on different types of tape, but not duc tape. Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It’s not that the dog licks off the glue, which can be a good thing as it saves you the physical labor. It is that the mixture of PB and glue gets stuck to the roof of the dogs mouth. Then what do you do when he/she looks up at you with those sad eyes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
YES BRIAN...THOSE ARE THE EYES... And then there if the tongue slipping in and out trying to unlodge the stuff stuck to the roof of their mouths.