Remove starboard bulkhead oday 23-2

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Hey all. It does not seem possible to me to remove the starboard bulkhead without removing the Hull deck joint. Take a look at the picture. Is the Hull deck joint glued or just screwed?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If it can't be rotated (top aft, can't see if constrained on aft sides) then best to cut it horizontally to allow it to come out.. It may be that the piece below the lowermost horizontal stain could be cut horizontally on the stain line and when re-fit, a trim piece could cover or ya could veneer it after smoothly joining the parts.. Looks like that bulkhead is mostly loaded in compression, so a new tight fit would be fine.
Not familiar with that boat, but usually the hull/deck joint glued and screwed and pretty rough to get undone.. To get the bulkhead out whole, you'd probably need about 6 feet of loose hull/deck seam on both sides of bulkhead then carefully jack deck to release the bulkhead. Kinda dicey

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I think it will rotate out from the top. I'll go down to my boat today and look at it to refresh my memory. Hull to deck joint is glued and screwed, that I know for sure. What year is yours?

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
I had mine out to repair and refinish. It comes right out, no difficulty at all. The port side with the compression post is a bit more difficult but if you place a pole and jack and gently lift the cabin top a very slight bit, that one comes out as well. No need to touch the hull/deck joint.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Made sure no fastening were left in bulkhead. The only part I can't see is at the top in the fiberglass grooves. Guys I don't want to cut it, but take a look at the picture. The top of the bulkhead closest to the hull - when rotating the top of the bulkhead towards the center of the boat - will attempt to lift up on the deck (which it can't since it's wedged in there nice and tight.

The bulkhead cannot be slid out - take a look at the bottom of it. I don't believe anyone with the same design can rotate the bulkhead out. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Same thing for installation.

I have tried to push the bottom of the bulkhead forward, however the inward curvature of the hull (reducing beam) is seeming to remove that possibility.

So...cutting is the only option here?

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
If it can't be rotated (top aft, can't see if constrained on aft sides) then best to cut it horizontally to allow it to come out.. It may be that the piece below the lowermost horizontal stain could be cut horizontally on the stain line and when re-fit, a trim piece could cover or ya could veneer it after smoothly joining the parts.. Looks like that bulkhead is mostly loaded in compression, so a new tight fit would be fine.
Not familiar with that boat, but usually the hull/deck joint glued and screwed and pretty rough to get undone.. To get the bulkhead out whole, you'd probably need about 6 feet of loose hull/deck seam on both sides of bulkhead then carefully jack deck to release the bulkhead. Kinda dicey
The fiberglass groove is for both sides. And the seat prevent rotating the bottom backwards. Can't rotate bottom forwards due to hull narrowing.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
I had mine out to repair and refinish. It comes right out, no difficulty at all. The port side with the compression post is a bit more difficult but if you place a pole and jack and gently lift the cabin top a very slight bit, that one comes out as well. No need to touch the hull/deck joint.
Do you have a 23-2? Was your bulkhead all in one piece? Was the construction the same?

Jan 22, 2007
Yes Peter 1980 Oday 23-2. Tonight I will crawl up under the tarp and take a look at how mine came out but it was quite simple and I did not take the hull/deck joint apart. Screws were diagonally into the pan as well as the cabin top and If I remember screws and or bolts through the settee into the bulkhead. I only lifted the cabin top to do the port side and at that again it was very slightly with a board on the soul a bottle jack and a 4x4.

Jan 22, 2007
Peter I just took another look at your picture, try sliding the bottom of the bulkhead forward from the bottom and the top should slide out of the groves.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Alright just to update this thread I was able to remove it but I don't believe there's a way to do it non-destructively. As I mentioned before pushing the bottom forward doesn't really work due to the inward curvature of the hull. However I was able to get it out that way in one (cracked and slightly smushed) piece.
I'm going to be replacing it with a three-part bulkhead so that if it ever needs to be removed again it can be done non-destructively.

Attachments

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
They got it in there in one piece. I pulled mine out and I remember it took time. Did you jack the deck up? If I remember correctly, I raised the deck about an inch which provided enough room. Bottle jack and a 4x4.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
They got it in there in one piece. I pulled mine out and I remember it took time. Did you jack the deck up? If I remember correctly, I raised the deck about an inch which provided enough room. Bottle jack and a 4x4.
This might have worked, but I didn't want to stress the deck or the deck hull joint. The only way I see to get it in or remove it would be to do this however.