removable stanchions?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Has anyone changed the fixed stanchions for removable ones. Every year when I cover the boat I wish I could remove the stanchions! If so, what did it entail? Do it yourself or have it done professionally? Cost? Thank you!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We converted the bases on our CS-36T to removable but, not for covering. I replaced them because the originals were cast aluminum and they were, what I considered, a safety hazard. Of course this required custom one-off bases, and new stanchions, and each set cost about $200.00... Perhaps they already exist for the C-30, and they should be much less costly.

For covering a pair of perimeter boards, made from strapping, and cross-ties is very robust and less expensive..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stanchions are all removable. Some more easily than others.

Issue is not the stanchion but how secure you want your lifelines to be when on the water with your boat.

If you daysail and water is warm, your crew is constantly jumping off the boat during these sunny adventures, than maybe you do not need lifelines at all. There are many boats out there with no stanchions.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've seen a few places, like Garhauer, offer flat based stanchion bases but if your C30 has the high/low base you most like will need a custom base made.
Might be easier to modify the boat cover so it doesn't go over the stanchions but has a split at each stanchion so it goes over the side at the toe rail.
That or Maine Sail's method of reinforcing the stanchions/life lines.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Thanks all for replies. I was hoping for the answer that was right in front of me but missed. The way I've been doing it works, just wanted to see if there was something that "works better." Cheers!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Has anyone changed the fixed stanchions for removable ones. Every year when I cover the boat I wish I could remove the stanchions! If so, what did it entail? Do it yourself or have it done professionally? Cost? Thank you!
They used to make removable stanchions. But these are cast bronze which enable the maker to cast a base to fit the bronze bases which have a Dove tail cut that receive the stanchions.

I don't know if any one has ever built something similar in SS tube? It could be done with a little ingenuity.

I remove the stanchions to cover my boat with a tarp. Each stanchion has a screw through the base that goes through and into the bronze deck bases.

The 2 gate stanchion braces, I threaded the fiberglass deck (which is solid fiberglass) to receive the screws. With that, everything comes off quickly and easily in the fall and back on in the spring. It helps with work on the deck and toe rails as well.

Removable stanchions seem like a good idea, but I don't see them anymore.
GOB May cover vertical shot 4 crop adjust copy.jpg

Tarp 2200 wide.jpg

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
check rig-rite, and of course this site. I am staring at a similar project, the existing stanchions needed to be rebed, and 1 repaired. Once I removed them I found ALL need to be repaired to some extent. I am debating repair to replace with removeable. The current design flexes the base out of shape. I would rather the upright suffer damage with the base integrity and seal to the deck retained.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would rather the upright suffer damage with the base integrity and seal to the deck retained.
As they say in design, anything is possible. I am not sure the expense and the finished product will function as your hope. You are asking a tube to resist movement in a fixed location when you apply force to the end of a lever. Perhaps you can design a crumple zone in the tube, but how will that function to save your life as you fall off the deck?
I would be interested to see the engineering for that idea.