Removable Hump Seat - Storage

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
This question is applicable to a handful of Hunters - 35 and 37 Legend boats... there may be others as well. We have a 1987 Hunter 35 Legend and the hump seat in the cockpit is completely removable to allow for a full walk-through transom. The question is - Has anyone come-up with a good idea of what to do (or where to store) this removable seat? We use our cockpit locker for folding bikes, bumpers and stuff, so there is not a lot of room to store such a large seat. Is there a way to hang it off of the railing, or somewhere else, out of the way? We are not looking to store this seat when we sail, just when we are at the dock, on a mooring. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Feb 13, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh, NY
Ours is pristine,never used on the boat. Stored at home. The seat is too low and hits the back of my legs when installed.

Oct 28, 2013
Really? I used it when sailing and although it was lower than I would prefer, it was still pretty comfortable.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Really? I used it when sailing and although it was lower than I would prefer, it was still pretty comfortable.
This is a personal preference sort of thing, but I will typically stand at the wheel if there is a good breeze and need to have good control. If the wind is lighter and/or we're going upwind, then I sit on the windward side (near the spin winch) to have a good view of the job luff, and mainsail. When I am standing at the wheel, I find that my natural foot placement is right where the seat would be. When the boat is heeling, I also find I wedge my feet in places where the seat would interfere.

There are times when I would certainly like to sit and relax while driving, but storage,weight, and complication of installing it and removing it, for me have outweighed the benefits. A friend has a 37.5 with a "hinged on one side" helm seat, and while nice to sit on, but lifting it involves people shuffling around the cockpit, and moving cushions, watching that we don't pinch fingers, and it really can only be up temporarily or it disrupts the cockpit, not really that safe to do underway.

I also find that I like the ability to just kick down the swim ladder to have access to the walk out transom. Great for docking, backing in,

Like I said, it's not a right or wrong thing, just personal preference.

Cheers
Chris

Oct 28, 2013
Just trying to figure out how to hang it off of (attach to) the railing.... when not in use. The other problem with it, is that it does not float, so when it goes overboard, the retrieval process becomes entertaining. May need to attach a line to it when storing on the railing. When sailing for long(er) trips, it is nice to have, and it also creates somewhat of a barrier for our fearless dog who has been seen at the VERY edge of the transom when the seat is not in-place. Definitely 1st world problem!

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
On my 1990 Legend 35.5 the seat has a couple of hooks cut into the fiberglass on the back side of the seat. However, I have bumped it when fishing and had to jump in after it before it sank. So I did two things. 1. secured a standard throwable seat cushion underneath the seat with some short screws on the straps. Can't see it, makes it float. 2. Added a strap on the back of the seat (loop with snap) that secures it to the back rail so it won't fall off. I like mine, I made a 4" thick cushion for it, very comfortable. Also made some 2" straps the fit across the back rails so I can relax in comfort and stay at the helm for long passages. Wish I had a pic, sorry...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I thought our setup was original, but maybe not. The seat is cut so it hangs on the stern rail. We hang it in front of or behind the rail . If I were smart, I'd attach a line to it just in case it goes overboard.

Oct 28, 2013
Justin, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! I will take a closer look at the pic and try to replicate. Thanks a lot!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The question is - Has anyone come-up with a good idea of what to do (or where to store) this removable seat?
Mine has a storage "hook" on the starboard aft transom (OEM installed). I use a additional safety tether to assure it doesn't take a deep six when handling.
Jim...

PS: I didn't see it at first. I saw a picture of another Hunter with it mounted out of the way.;)