Relocating early C22 upper shroud chainplates

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
I'm getting ready to replace my misaligned, leaking 3/8" chainplate bolts and I was looking at the class rules and noticed that relocating the upper shrouds to bring them in column was specifically allowed.
Can the early style upper shroud chainplate brackets be moved to the aft-opposite side of the bulkhead to achieve this without additional modification?

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
[QUOTE="... this without additional modification?[/QUOTE]

You mean like beside having to cut holes in the deck to relocate the deck fittings?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Can the early style upper shroud chainplate brackets be moved to the aft-opposite side of the bulkhead to achieve this without additional modification?
Yes. This was fixed on the later model boats but I am not sure whether you need to make a new hole in the deck. Check the Tech manual as I am sure there is an article on this or contact the chief measurer to confirm.

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
I'll definitely need to drill new holes in the deck, but that's expected and I'm potting and re-drilling all six anyway. I'm primarily concerned that the chain plate bracket fits well against the cabin ceiling when installed the aft side of the bulkheads without modifying the bulkhead or bracket.

I found a picture (page 75 of the 2014 updated tech manual) that looks like the bracket installed in such an arrangement, but it was part of an article describing using turnbuckles to tie the lowers into the bulkhead. The boat pictured was heavily modified, with Starboard bulkheads, so I don't know if that will work with my unmodified 1973 bulkheads.
I know it's possible, just trying to determine if this is a two trip to the boat job, or a bigger project.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I just checked the page you listed and those bulkheads are not modified but rather painted. Odds are they were replace with a less visually appealing wood and since the article is for a racing boat aesthetics take a back seat to function.

Do you have the upper brackett pictures? If so I assume it will meet the cabin top just fine. I have the newer model which uses a flat metal tang for the chainplates which attached to the bulkhead on the inside and has a small plate on the outside to help seal it. If you want to hear from someone that has done this I recommend posting something on the C22 association forum as they may be able to give you some pointers.

Just for reference here my my boat setup which you can always upgrade to with Catalina Direct.
Trunbuckles.jpg IMG_1577.JPG