Reinforcing/rebedding Keel Trunk to lead ballast

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
I was under impression that Selah's ballast was concrete. However, after grinding through cracked epoxy/silica bedding, it turned out to be led encased in concrete encased in fiberglass on the underside of boat and at keel trunk, the lead encased in fiberglass. Called West Systems and they were very helpful. Advised me to lay down initially, on top of lead, their G/Flex 650-8 Toughened Epoxy (for tough, permanent, waterproof repairs). And once it becomes tacky, then I can begin the process of layering the 105/206 epoxy/hardener with fiberglass. Starting this today as it will take awhile to build up the approximate two inches of fiberglass. Any suggestions as I am layering this up?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. Use gloves and a respirator, maybe a tyvec suit or coveralls. It is no joke to get an allergy to fiberglass and epoxy resin.

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
Oh yessir! Anytime I'm on the boat or in my garage working, even with sanding any amount of fiberglass or wood, that is my standing rule especially with fiberglass or toxic chemicals --gloves, and respirator along with tyvek suits with hood and feet enclosed -- this is mandatory for me. My emphysema doesn't like dust of any kind. Thanks for that as I haven't posted all the precautions I take, i. e., I enclose the immediate area in a plastic tent that I'm working in and run a vacuum at the immediate work area to draw off as much dust and airborne fibers as possible. Then everything is vacuumed including the tyvek suit before I come out of the tent. When the tent area is suctioned and my suit from head to toe, then I go outside of the boat to remove the suit, respirator and gloves. Finally, when I remove the respirator, I also suction the filters from the outside of the intake to avoid as much buildup in the filters. This might seem like overkill to some but I plan spend as much of what time I have left enjoying sailing. :)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You can't go wrong with West Systems. Their tech data and support are first rate.