Regulator Not Regulating

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
So, I have a Yanmar with a Balmar alternator and external regulator. The regulator is a Xantrex XAR that replaced a Balmar about fifteen years ago when it failed. (Rather I thought it failed; it turned out to be a bad connection that was intermittent.) Anyhow, what happened is I went down below while on a cruise I just returned from to find the Link 2000 indicating 17 volts :yikes:. I pulled the plug on the harness connection hoping I didn't fry my four AGM's (I didn't). I replugged it after a while and things seemed normal, but then ramped up to 14.4 volts at which time I pulled the plug again. When I was at my destination, (fixing boats in beautiful places, etc.) I checked all the connections carefully and all seemed sound. I checked the voltage at the harness per the manual with the engine off and on. Again, normal. I reset all the charge parameters. On the return, I checked it again with the same ramping up over the allowable limit. Since this unit is the same as the Balmar ARS-5 (of course updated), I ordered a replacement. I guess we'll see how that works out....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Follow up: the Balmar ARS-5 was a plug in replacement. Same harness used. One ground wire not needed. Works fine. Glad I caught the overcharge before it did any battery damage.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Cool. Too bad there's not an audible alarm, as for oil pressure, when the battery voltage is too high. Any damage to equipment?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Cool. Too bad there's not an audible alarm, as for oil pressure, when the battery voltage is too high. Any damage to equipment?
I have not detected any damage. I noticed it about an hour out. I'm hoping the batteries just thought it was an equalizing charge :biggrin: