Refrigeration Updating

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
After looking at a bunch of different options I decided to go with Seafrost. I spent a lot of time on the phone and email getting the design right. They were great and I can't recommend them enough. I started today pulling out the old A/B system and am impressed with the quality of the seafrost equipment.

I am staying with the spillover system (for now) with the upgraded compressor and plates I am convinced it will be fine. I am also upgrading the thermostat in the frig and using the seafrost fan to move the air to the frig. I'll try to get some pics up as it goes in.

BDXP AW Air/water compressor
ETT Electronic Thermostat
2 plates 10X19 and 12X19

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Is that a 134a system nice to be able to get a can of refrigerant from local auto stores to be able to self service system

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I have to give Cleave at Seafrost a huge thank you! I am very pleased with the system he spec'd out for me and he was a huge help during the install when I had a couple of questions! I am very impressed with the quality of the equipment. It is very solid and has almost a commercial grade feel to it. The install was straightforward though some of the wire pulls were a pain in the butt. It's hard fishing wire around the back of the box.

Here is the before of where the controls were going to go.

upload_2017-4-16_19-13-45.png

After, box was open a lot right before the picture so the temps were up a bit.

upload_2017-4-16_19-14-25.png

Inside of the box is hard to get good pictures but here are a couple.

The shelf is out in this picture obviously

upload_2017-4-16_19-15-42.png

Here with the shelf back in and a piece of starboard added to protect the copper tubing.

upload_2017-4-16_19-18-10.png

The compressor went right where the old one was in the settee.

upload_2017-4-16_19-20-6.png

Beer should be very frosty on short notice now!!!!

FrankT

Jun 11, 2004
Hunter 410 middle river, md
System looks great, well done ! As an aside I have a H410 2002. One of the best things Ive done (in preparation for a trip to the Bahamas) regarding refrigeration is to separate the freezer from the refrig - in essence move away from the spill over system. Temperature control has improved dramatically and I'm also seeing significantly less need to defrost the freezer. I suspect the spill over system moves alot of the moisture from the frig to the freezer which adversely impacts cooling efficiency. Not sure what if any increase in power usage has occurred as I installed solar panels at the same time. I suspect the increase is minimal. The second compressor was installed behind the oven. Simply FYI.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
System looks great, well done ! As an aside I have a H410 2002. One of the best things Ive done (in preparation for a trip to the Bahamas) regarding refrigeration is to separate the freezer from the refrig - in essence move away from the spill over system. Temperature control has improved dramatically and I'm also seeing significantly less need to defrost the freezer. I suspect the spill over system moves alot of the moisture from the frig to the freezer which adversely impacts cooling efficiency.
Those are great points, when I first started planning this I thought I was going to split them as you did. In talking to Cleave at Seafrost his advice was to install this system first and see how it goes. I'm a weekend sailor these days so defrosting isn't a problem once in awhile. I lived aboard for a couple of years 1 of those years cruising the east coast and Bahamas. We had the old spillover Grunert system then and it was ok, not great but ok. We had two big solar panels that essentially covered the fridge electric needs. You're definitely right about the moist air from the spillover, I'm experimenting with cutting down the sizes of the holes that create the spillover and have a reduced size fan that will use less power and move less air.

Thanks for the comments good luck on your trip if it hasn't happened yet!

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
He's been great for decades. ;^)))
Straight talk, helpful attitude, reasonable pricing, great service.
His sons are based in Annapolis. Nate Horton formed a service company that handles refrigeration, AC, and other marine systems.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
When I lost a compressor due to a tech dufus putting in 134A, I replaced it with a Seafrost thin holding plate system. It's great as is their c/s which I only had to utilize once during the install. Quiet and efficient.