Refitting strut/P bracket Catalina 30 pt 1

Aug 11, 2010
Catalina 30 30 Mk 11 Brisbane
Hi All,
I would like to tap into collective wisdom on this forum about my current challenge. Short history..When I purchased the boat several years ago I removed accumulated antifouling and in course of doing so noted darker hull material around strut area. After digging with a grinder I found that diesel from previously leaking fuel tank had migrated into the laminate. Advice was to remove degraded material and rebuild area which of course included rebedding strut. Unfortunately so called marine engineers I hired screwed up because strut was misaligned relative to shaft and engine gearbox. This has caused premature wear of cutlass bearing and probably not good for gearbox either. It is not possible to overcome the misalignment with engine mount adjustment. So I have decided to rebed the strut again using the services of reputable engineers.
The boat is currently on the hardstand and I have the strut ready to remove from the boat. The boat is sitting in a cradle on a trolley in a very traditional boatyard. Trolley is sitting at about 15 degree incline.

Aug 11, 2010
Contd from Pt 1.....I think the weight of the boat is probably concentrated to the rear of the keel. I have noticed that the plywood cover over the engine is not fitting flush. It's possibly 8mm higher than normal. I'm thinking that the hull my have "oil canned" or compressed to a degree because of how it is sitting. Is this possible or am I overthinking this? I'm concerned that if the hull settles after relaunch I'm still going to have a misalignment issue. Any thoughts appreciated especially as to possible hull distortion.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Yes thx hull changes shape when on the hard, to greater or lesser degree depending on how she’s blocked. It doesn’t sound like she’s in a good situation for you to get an initial shot at a best-as-you-can fit pending splash and engine alignment, but that’s hard to assess hands off. You might need to splash her for a few weeks and then pull to do the job?
Same folks who did the misaligned strut are doing the blocking?

Or possibly knowing how/where the strut was misaligned previously you and adjust and get er close not trying to align it to the engine yet.
It doesn’t add a lot to your particular situation with the 30 strut but there’s a recent thread on the 34 forum on replacing/realigning one of their struts.
C34.org

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks Ken. Some good advice. I think the situation on the hardstand is certainly the biggest obstacle to getting this right.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I’d suggested you and anyone with a C30 post hull/rigging/power plant/systems/electrical/general questions on the official IC30A forum. You’ve got the depth of knowledge of 1,600 C30 owners/“experts” over there.

Engine wise there’s also a WEALTH of information from C34-ers who have “our” engines on:
https://C34.org/bbs/
Both forums are open to everyone but it’s nice if you are an IC member and support the organization.