Refinishing Wooden Spreaders

Feb 22, 2009
Cal 30 Muskegon, MI
Since I'm doing a bit of mast down rigging and replacing wiring/antenna, I have my wooden spreaders off.

After a light sanding with a pad sander, they look very good but need a protective finish.

The simplest is to varnish, sand, varnish, sand until I build up 6 coats or more.

Another option is to coat with West system Epoxy and do a couple of coats.

One or two part Epoxy paint is another coption.

And the last involves painting the top white (supposedly deters birds perching on them) with either varnish or epoxy on the underside and edges.

What have you done with yours?

Greg Murphy
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i think there is an upgrade kit from the SBO store to replace the wood with aluminum ones and be done with it

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I varnish all over, then paint the upper part white. Keeps the sun off the varnish, and the white holds up for a long time. My wooden spreaders are 52 years old now, and going fine and I'm on the gulf coast.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Having just done a new cockpit sole, here is what I would recommend,

2 coats of epoxy and then 3 coats of Varnish/paint of your choice, I found an interesting study done by a guy in Oklahoma who was trying out different finishes for truck bed rails. He found varnish by itself fails after a very short period. Add 2 coats of epoxy and then varnish and he got an average of 2-3 seasons out of varnish (bright finishes) and had one ,a covering paint, that still had not failed after several years.

I wanted a Bright finish to my new cockpit sole, so did 2 coats west system and 3 coats of varnish, we'll see how well it holds up. One thing to note, I found out later that System 3 is better for a clear finish since it is easier to remove the little bubbles from the finish. But otherwise West system with 207 hardener worked well for me.

Good luck on the spreaders, the UV is your biggest issue, the opaque white will do more to prevent UV deterioration than it will for the birds in my opinion but then I have aluminum spreaders so haven't had to do this work.

Fair winds,

Victor

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Careful with epoxy as it may not be UV resistant. ON my drift boat I had to coat the epoxy to keep it from uv damage. I used polyurethane over the top.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Epoxy is definitely NOT UV resistant. If unproteced it will yellow and crack. I used to build wood epoxy boats for a living. I used it a lot (since 1976) and still do, but I don't use it under varnish any longer, because when (not if) it fails and you have to go back to bare, it is a real BEAR to remove. And it can't be just touched up. Plain varnish CAN be retouched and or touched up provided you don't let it go too long.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I'm in the process of rebuilding the wooden spreaders on my '76 Cal 2-27. I used white oak for the wood and have given them 2 light coats of West System epoxy. I will leave the bottom bright but with 2 coats of Helmsman Spar polyurethane and paint and sides the top with Interlux Brightside white polyurethane.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Paint the tops white and they will last for years. It's UV protection that has nothing to do with birds, they don't care what colour it is. No one can tell unless they are the unlucky mook that gets hoisted. This is a common practice of older wooden boats.

Three coats of varnish is a maintenance coat. If it lasts a year it will be lucky.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
Ken is right. Don't use epoxy as a coating. Painting

white on top is a clever way of getting more longevity while keeping the natural wood look. Either set up a maintenance schedule for refurbishing the finish or replace them with aluminum. That's what it boils down to.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Seven coats of Epifanes gloss wood finish followed by a final coat of matte wood finish, scuff with a scotchbrite pad between each coat should last about two years. It's unfortunately called routine maintenance. Since the spreaders only have to pass the 25 foot test why not consider using a top quality semi gloss alkyd house paint in a color matching the wood? If the surface preparation is good, it could last 5 years or more. You are in Muskegon, no salt air to contend with, less of a UV concern, and a pitifully short sailing season.

Jan 6, 2010
Captain,

This post is not about recoating wood but, I offer a suggestion.

My Catalina 30 had wooden spreaders & bowsprit. The bowsprit cracked in half under a spirited windward sail & I almost lost my stick. climbing to the spreaders, I noticed good coating on top however, the underside had rotted under the coating & not readily visible from the deck.

I replaced the bowsprit with a solid glass from Catalina. For the spreaders, JSI made me new outstanding aluminum spreaders powder coated @ a very reasonable cost. They were airplane foil design & replaced easily.

Do I like wood on my deck, yes. Do I TRUST wood in a structural/support role compared to the integrity of my spars & rigging, NO.

I know some purists will disagree with me however, one need only to experience what I have learned. That's what changed my thinking.

CR