Refinish Exterior Teak S2 11a

kperks

Apr 7, 2015
S2 11a Oriental
My big project for the fall (or maybe spring) will be to refinish the exterior teak on my 1985 S2 11a. Any hints?

What product has proven best for you?
Is it better to remove the hand rail and sand it down and refinish off the boat? Or would that open up a whole can of worms?

Thanks

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i took mine off and did it on the workbench but i used cetol and its about all off now after only 10 months in the weather ...i will be using spar varnish next or maybe even teak oil ...thinking more and more about teak oil ...as far as the can of worms is concerned just tape over the screw holes untill you get through and re bed with mainsails bedding tape

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
On my 9.2, acquired last Aug, I took off the handrails when I refinished them as one of my winter projects. I am so glad I did too - the bottom of the rails were completely untreated and had turned an interesting shade of green. Many, many coats of Epiphanes varnish now cover both sides.

The biggest challenge with reinstalling was that the original foam core in the spacers had deteriorated and I could not locate a suitable replacement for the life of me. With the aid of our local Ace hardware man, we came up with a solution that so far has worked flawlessly - no water intrusion whatsoever.

Sep 6, 2011
I use Starbrite Tropical teak oil sealer. No sanding just reapply when needed. I get 18 - 24 mos out of one application.

SC

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Don't sand. I did and as a result EVERY mounting bolt needs to be cut shorter. Strop and scrape. I removed mine and brought them home.

Oct 10, 2015
S2 11.0 A Alameda
I used a small amount of wood bleach with warm water, and scrubbed, Then washed with simple green and water. let dry and rubbed on waco teak oil. with a second coat a day later. It looks amazing. The second coat darkened it a bit and gave more of a shine.

Mar 19, 2016
S2 9.2A Bristol, RI
I just refinished companionway planks and rails, and took them off to do in garage. The wood was looking terrible, having been neglected by previous owner, and me. Heat gun worked best then sanding. I had to use a 2 part teak cleaner by Setol (?) the strong stuff--not recommended but it really got the black out. Then I used Total Boat's Gleam. I'm really happy with results and now hoping to make it last with a maintenance coat every year, as Don Casey recommends.

Same issue with the rails, and planks: no varnish on undersides-- but isn't that just asking for trouble? My are sealed now with 8 coats both sides. A lotta work but satisfying...