Reefing

Jan 14, 2016
Catalina 309 Geraldton
Hi All,

I seeking advice on reefing Catalina 309. I needed to reef the other day but struggled to tack upwind as I have to much sail in the rear of the main. Can someone explain in simple terms how this is done. It appears that there is no where to secure the reef on the mast, just the sheet onto the boom bracket.

Also is there a spinnaker setup for this model?

Finally, I'm new to sailing and enjoy reading the posts.

Regards David

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've got a couple of diagrams you might like. Hope they help!
reefing2.jpg
reefing_10.jpg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
seeking advice on reefing Catalina 309. I needed to reef the other day but struggled to tack upwind as I have to much sail in the rear of the main.
Did you ease the mainsheet so the mainsail wasn't powering the boat?

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I seeking advice on reefing Catalina 309. I needed to reef the other day but struggled to tack upwind as I have to much sail in the rear of the main.

Start the motor to tack into the wind, ease the halyard. One of the setups shown by justsomeguy needs to already be in place, then pull sail onto boom and tie in place. Re-tighten the halyard

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
David, do you have reef padeyes in the sail and did your boat come with the single line reefing system?

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
David, The C309 came with in mast furling. Is that what you have or was it changed? With inmast furling you just roll it back into the mast the amount that you want to reef then adjust the rod kicker to get better sail shape as needed. You don't have reefing lines on the boom or the mast.

Jan 14, 2016
Catalina 309 Geraldton
I have 2 reefing lines and no mast in furling main sail... will check on the padeye setup...

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You should be able to ease the main while close hauled and then go forward and reef the main while the jib alone powers the boat. If conditions are really nasty, send the wife.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Keep in mind that the only two things holding the sail down have to be the tack and the clew. The reefing ties (going through the pad eyes in the sail) should not have any load on them (they are there only to keep the sail around the boom). If you put any load on them, they will rip the sail.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You should be able to ease the main while close hauled and then go forward and reef the main while the jib alone powers the boat.
Very good advice. Other alternative is to sail on port tack, then heave to. This puts the high side on starboard where the boom reefing gear, at least for the first reef, is usually located.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
David, Since you do not have the inmast rig, yours most likely has a rig from a C310 which shares the same hull. You might want to check the C310 forum for rig advice.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have a C310 with jiffy reefing. One reefing line pulls down both the tack and the clew. Simply head upwind, let the mainsheet go slack, lower the mainsail halyard to the height of the reefed main, take in the reefing line, and re-tension the main halyard, fall off and trim the main. You probably have a rigid vang, so the topping lift shouldn't be needed while lowering the main. This is all done at the cabin top winches, so there is no need to go forward. The Admiral is very happy about that.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Was heaving to a possibility instead of starting the engine?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Lobinson, I did not understand from your OP if you successfully reefed but had trouble going upwind due to the excess sail in the aft of the main? Or were you unable to get the reef in because of the excess material?