Reefing, Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Williams

I bought a 1985 C-22 back in November, and I have only reefed the main a couple of times. Both times, I removed the tack bolt and re-attached the main to the boom using the bolt. I was wondering if there is a easier, quicker way of tacking the main. My boat has a line that makes it easy to reef the clew by simply pulling and cleating a line. I was thinking the with a eye strap, cheek block, and a cleat, I could mount the eye strap on one side of the boom and the cheek block on the other side, so that I could pull a line and cleat it to tack the main, much like the jib. My concern about this, is that I may not be able to pull the tack far enough forward to pull the wrinkles out of the foot. Has anyone tried this? And, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks, David

J

John

Reef hook

You might consider a reef hook to secure the "new" tack. The link shows a few. John

T

tomD

It should work

On mine it is set up as a two line jiffy reefing system, pretty standard. You pass a line from a cleat on the mast thru the tack reefing cringle to a cleat on the other side of the mast. At the aft end of the boom (clew) there is a line again, from the boom thru the reefing clew cringle, thru a block and to a cleat along the boom--same procedure, pull the line and cleat off. If you do not have a topping lift, reef in the following order: 1. slack off the mainsheet and the boomvang. 2. Set the Clew reefpoint first, which cants the aft end of the boom upwards. 3. Ease the main halyard to the reefing mark (or beyond if you haven't marked it) 4. Go forward and cleat off your tack reefing line. 5. Harden the main halyard. There is no need for a topping lift and the boom does not come crashing into the cock pit when you do it this way. Also remember to reverse order this when shaking out a reef--the clew line comes out last. Finally Harden the boomvang. This is worth setting up this way

R

Randy

Sail Stops in the Way

I have a jiffy reef line set up but the problem is the sail stop in the mast track blocks the main from coming down far enough. When I last tried it (in a howling wind, too late) it was a comedy of errors. Do you remove the sail stop or do I need to have a special line added to my main?

T

tomD

The sailstop would have to go

It is really important that the tack cringle is pulled in hard at the gooseneck. Some sailstops are drilled with a little hole for attaching a lanyard, you go forward, release it and let it hang on the lanyard, then proceed on. When you get fast, or are very motivated, a jiffy reef can go in in under a minute.

B

Bayard Gross

You need a main sail jack line

To avoid removing the sail stop during a reef, you should install a main sail jack line. There is description about this in the Catalina Direct catalog under their sails section. There is also a description in the Catalina National Sailing Association C-22 Technical Manual. However, both descriptions leave some questions. I installed my own version. First, just above the goose neck I put in an eye strap that is held in place with wing nuts that grab the inside of the sail groove and hence hold the eye strap in place. I secure a 3/16 inch line to the eye strap which is then run up to the first sail slug cringle. The shackle attaching this cringle to the sail slug is removed. The 3/16 inch line runs through the cringle and then through the eye on the back of the sail slug. Now at this point there is a more proper way of doing things, however, I am at a lost of just what that is. Nevertheless, right after going through the slug eye I tie an overhand or figure eight knot in the 3/16 inch line. Now, when the sail is raised, the cringle rides up along the line and then more or less at the sail slug it is drawn reasonably tight against the slug holding the luff of the sail at this point close and tight against the mast. When the sail needs to be reefed, the cringle rides down along this line eliminating the need to remove the sail stop and allowing the reef cringle to then be drawn up close to the boom. For the reef tack arrangement, you can use the previously mentioned line from an eye strap on one side of the mast (lower and forward of the tack), through the reef tack cringle, and then secured to a cleat on the other side of the mast (again lower and forward of the tack). Actually, for my C-22, I have set this up so I can set the reef tack from the cockpit, but that involves some more steps.

J

Joe

catalina direct..........

...why would catalina direct charge $39.95 for a masthead halyard sheave that catalina yachts sells for $8.40????

J

jeff 14640

can sympathise with randy

we tried reefing in a blow a couple of weeks ago, and i forgot to remove the sail stop. i couldnt figure out what the problem was so i pulled a little harder on the reefing line, and watched the sail stop come loose and go swimming, then the the aft end of the boom came swinging down into the cockpit, never a dull moment..........jeff.

R

Randy

Thanks for the sympathy

Jeff, not only did my sail stop fly into the lake like a little rocket, but all of the mainsail slugs came sliding down the mast track and out into the loose. I was standing on the cockpit holding on to all the main in a howling wind. That's when my wife said "I think we should go back to the slip." Thank goodness for the outboard! Randy 13227

D

David Williams

Thanks

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I cannot wait to get out to the lake to look at my boat, and try to make a decision between cringe hooks and reefing lines. Gosh, I wish I had brought my boom home with me. I have already made and installed mast gates. They work great and eliminate the need for a sail stop. I got the ideal off the C-22 National Website. I will try to think to get a picture of these this weekend, if anyone is interested. David

T

tomD

sailslug gates?

David, where did you find the gates? or did you make them?

R

Randy

Please post a pic

Dave, please do post the picture of your mast gate that eliminates the need for sail slug stopper. Thanks.

D

David Williams

Gates

I made mine, and I will get some pictures this weekend. David

D

David Williams

Picture

I am not sure how to link this picture. If it doesn't work, drop me an email: david.williams@abilenetx.com I will email the pictures. David

D

David Williams

Cannot get it to upload

For pictures: david.williams@abilenetx.com

B

Bayard Gross

Mast gate link

Here is a link from the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association Technical Tips site for the mast gate.

R

Rick

Stainless mast gate

On the C-22 listserve, a thread a while back mentioned someone who fabricates stainless mast gates for around $30. This product is allegedly vastly superior to the homemade, carpet strip types. The price is certainly right. I lost the thread, and I can't figure out how to post on the listserve, so I thought I'd ask here. Anybody know how to contact this fellow? I had my first reefing experience today, singlehanded, and the utility of the mast gate was made oh, so apparent to me.

R

Randy

Here's some info

I found this in the archives after digging around for a while: "One answer is to buy a set of mast gates from Joe Martinek. Joe's email address is: JoeMartinek@StarBand.net He charged me $30 for a nice set of stainless gates. I am not sure if the price is current." Try to contact this fellow and let us know how it went. Randy 13227

R

Rick

Mast Gates

I emailed Mr. Martinek, and he is still selling mast gates. $25 includes shipping. My check is going out tomorrow--I'll post a review when they get here. Regards, Rick Hampton, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.