Redoing the interior of 1976 Catalina 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
Oh yeah...I can tell by a glance that galley is paper...wow....I think I'd rebuild that one from scratch.

I had to do that to the galley cabinet under the stove. It literally fell apart when I took it out. I used the parts as a pattern and built a new frame. I built a cubby hole rather than a drawer on the top...better use of the space for my needs.

Here's the galley cabinets after rebuild/refinish. The one on the left is the cubby I built:

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Those sure look good Joe!! I love properly done brightwork.

I got a good faux finish over the top of the paper in damaged spots, and the rest of the paper grain looks pretty good under filler stain and varnish.

If you read my "journal" you will see several times I almost punted and started from scratch, but the challenge sort of took over. I think I brought a real pigs ear back from the dead, and made it pretty close to a silk purse...

I am happy with it.

Attachments

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
Wow! Looks great....you did manage to bring it back.....transform it really. Outstanding job....where is the galley stove? Looking at your first pic....looks like a complete redesign....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Joe Diver said:
Wow! Looks great....you did manage to bring it back.....transform it really. Outstanding job....where is the galley stove? Looking at your first pic....looks like a complete redesign....
'Left the stove off. I got a rail mounted 'cue grill and a butane cooktop I can pull out of storage. We weekend only and usually just daysail so the stove was more of an albatross. Leaving it out frees up more lounging room

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I refinished my 1980 C27 interior bulkheads and solid woodwork. I used Star Brite Teak Cleaner and a scotchbrite pad on the bulkheads and solid woodwork. Then I put 3 coats of Cetol Natural Teak everything. The teak veneered bulkheads were not badly stained but just had the dull natural finish. The solid teak woodwork was much dirtier but the teak cleaner made that look good too.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I think Catalina as well as all the other production builders realized that cabins sell boats as much as performance. I have looked at many Catalinas over the years and we owned a new C 22 (1982), A C 25 (1985) & now a C 30 (1980). The early to late 1970's era Catalinas used a lot of formaica covered panels, epsecially for the countertops, the main bulkhead mounted tables, etc. The bulkheads were usually a VERY thin teak veneer (1/32nd") glued to plywood. The only areas that are solid teak in the 70's models are the trim pieces located at the companionway opening, the ladder, the fiddles around the counters & the drawer & cabinet fronts. In the 1980's Catalina started to upgrade their finishes in the cabin to boost sales. Although most of the construction is still the same. As Joe stated, the doors (& drawers) were interchangeable between models to streamline production. The pieces that are specific to the C 27 & C 30 are the galley units & the C 30 has a nicer hanging locker, drawers, & nav.-chart table. One of the weakest links that I see are the use of very cheap RV type hinges & magnetic closures. These simply start to rust away after 30 years. I have said many times that I don't even think that Catalina expected these boats to last over 30 years (mine) & many are much older then that. Gosh the early 1974-5 models will be 40 in a few years. A testament to the durability of fiberglass!

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Phil...I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to sailing. I've got a 1978 Catalina 27 footer in the cradle on the South shore of Lake Erie just waiting for Spring. Is that a picture of a 27' galley in your post? I'm wanting to pull mine out to insulate the sink and refinish the teak but I haven't found all of the magic screws to get it unfastened. Any hints on how to remove it? Thanks, Rex S., Columbus Oh ( rex@schlag.org )

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Phil...or anyone on the forum...I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to sailing. I've got a 1978 Catalina 27 footer in the cradle on the South shore of Lake Erie just waiting for Spring. Is that a picture of a 27' galley in your post? I'm wanting to pull mine out to insulate the sink and refinish the teak but I haven't found all of the magic screws to get it unfastened. Any hints on how to remove it? Thanks, Rex S., Columbus Oh ( rex@schlag.org )

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Cataholic said:
Phil...I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to sailing. I've got a 1978 Catalina 27 footer in the cradle on the South shore of Lake Erie just waiting for Spring. Is that a picture of a 27' galley in your post? I'm wanting to pull mine out to insulate the sink and refinish the teak but I haven't found all of the magic screws to get it unfastened. Any hints on how to remove it? Thanks, Rex S., Columbus Oh ( rex@schlag.org )
Rex, that is a C27 galley in my post. I heavily modified mine. You can find the work I have done in the Catalina Mid Sized Boats area.

I wish I could tell you EXACTLY where all the screws are but mine was pretty rotten and it has been a few years.... ( wish I was back in the water ). I am not sure I got all the screws out when I removed mine....

I don't know what to tell you beyond this: remove screws you can find, then tug and yank to see where you are binding and then look for screws there.

Wish I could help more. Had it been last week I would know but it's been a while...

Good luck with your boat and holler if you have other questions. Hopefully I can answer the next one! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.