Red rubber on rudder assembly

May 21, 2015
Hunter 26 San Diego
Currently rebuilding the rudder assembly on my h26, I have the red rubber and everything just need to know what glue to use to make sure it's as good a hold as oem. Thanks

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
I used rubber contact cement and it worked fine for one season but I would recommend something a little stronger. I didn't buy the red rubber That was OEM. I used just some rubber matting. I wasn't sure if the matting would work and was worried I would have to sand off the glue. I am going to reattach with the 3M 5200 adhesive this year cause the rubber matting worked fine. US exchange rate and duties are getting too bad to buy from the Hunter store in Canada

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When applying the 5200 just remember to use a trowel of sorts to evenly spread it out on the rudder housing and suggest the 7 day cure and allow to cure that length of time for best results.

May 21, 2015
Hunter 26 San Diego
Cool thanks I'll use the 5200, I tried rubber cement and could tell it wasn't going to last so I removed it. I purchased the red rubber on amazon for 26 bucks it seems to to be the exact same rubber.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
When you guys say rubber cement are you talking about the stuff in a little bottle from office supplies? That won't work. If you're talking contact cement, yes that will work. I did mine about 3 years ago and have had no trouble. You must use contact cement per the instructions! Some folks just can't accept that you have to let it dry BEFORE putting the parts together.
Dennis

May 21, 2015
Hunter 26 San Diego
Thanks dennis , I was trying the rubber cement, I thought to myself this can't be right which is why I posted the question.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Some rubber cements work but some do not. Dennis, which one worked for you and you are correct on drying as many are anxious to use without letting things to dry. Dennis and Whiskey, thank you for your controbution

Jun 4, 2004
Some rubber cements work but some do not. Dennis, which one worked for you and you are correct on drying as many are anxious to use without letting things to dry. Dennis and Whiskey, thank you for your controbution
Dave,
Again, not rubber cement but contact cement. Rubber cement is used by graphic artists to lay up montages of text or art. It's designed to peel away so you can reposition. On the other hand, contact cement, though it too is rubbery at first, grabs and sets up in a permenant bond. It is used to laminate countertops, apply veneers, de-icing boots on aircraft wings, etc.
I don't recall what brand I used, probably Weldwood by DAP. It can be bought in a half pint to half quart or more at Lowes or Walmart. Scuff sand both surfaces and wipe clean with solvent. Apply several coats to each surface observing drying times. Be sure to position carefully cause when it touches, its stuck!

Apr 24, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Stamford
I'm in the process of rebuilding my H 23.5 rudder assembly. I was told to use the 3M 90 spray adhesive as well. When i used acetone to remove the old glue residue it also removed some of the black (?antifouling?) paint. Does anyone have any advice on this? I was going to recoat it with interlude 33 outdrive antifouling black paint but is suggest that a primer would be needed. Anyone know about this? And secondly do you sand down the rudder plate prior to spraying on the adhesive and if so with what type/grit? See pictures below for current status. (I still have a few spots to put some elbow grease into but its mostly prepped
Thanks!!
IMG_8216.JPG

Jun 4, 2004
Doc,
Yes prime it first. Then topcoat and let it dry thoroughly. Lightly scuff sand the topcoat only where you'll spray the glue. Don't sand through the paint. Don't be stingy with the adhesive and follow the directions on the can. Good luck.
Dennis

Apr 24, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Stamford
dennis...thanks! do you think i need to paint under where the red rubber will be or just the exposed areas. also any suggestions on primer and grit for sanding prep for glue? oh...and do i need to sand the metal before primer coat? thanks for guiding this novice!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Paint the whole thing. Dennis would concur. Ask Dennis Kitchen which adhesive he would use as he has done it and it was 2010 when I retired. Thanks Dennis for helping out sir as I appreciate your assistance here.